Thread: Primal Journal-Primal-Kath's Journey to Wellness page

PrimalKath is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal-Primal-Kath's Journey to Wellness

Shop Now
    Hi everyone!

I've just started inching my way toward Primal Living. I'm 40 years old, have been a vegetarian since I was 12 (strict: no fish, no milk, no eggs)-- and I might have a couple of diseases to show for it.

***Boring medical info to follow. I'm hoping to 'tick these conditions off as I progress in this journey.

All of my problems began while I was training for a 26K marathon in 2009 and my body started falling apart! I couldn't catch my breath, my allergies increased in severity, and ligaments and tendons began hurting too much to run. I thought I had shin splints--bought tons of different running shoes, but it kept getting worse.

I was diagnosed in 2009 with Asthma, CIDP (Chronic Inflammatory Demylenating Polyneuopathy), PCOS, and IBS. The CIDP causes weakness in my arms and legs and extreme exhaustion. The treatment for this disease, and the asthma, is steroids. I seem to be the only person my doctor knows that has a really bad reaction to these drugs. It made all of my symptoms much worse. With the PCOS and other issues, it's strange that nobody has ever given me a gluten test. I've had every other! My doctor didn't think it was necessary. I've researced Celiac's Disease and it causes a lot of my symptoms.

I've been getting IVIG transfusions monthly for two years in an attempt to calm my immune system down and stop the damaging of nerves. None of this really worked. At 5 ft 4" my weight was creeping up toward 140lbs--all centered around my middle. I couldn't understand how I could train for a marathon and still have weight issues.

My last IVIG transfusion didn't give me 4 weeks of strength like it normally does. My neurologist, while kind, doesn't really have any answers or advice--just this bleak outlook! Whatever! I'm active and refuse to believe I even have this degenerative disease. It doesn't make sense. I started seeing a naturopath last month and she turned me onto the Primal Blueprint. She completed a saliva test and the results added another issue to the mix: low adrenal function. She's convinced going Primal will reverse all of my symptoms. I like her prognosis much better.

Before going Primal I did a strict 30 day juice fast (mostly veggies) and lost 20 pounds. I figured I'd gain the weight back once I stopped, but since avoiding carbs and increasing protein, my weight has stayed at 120! Go figure. I still can't believe it. I weighed 125 in high school and I'm even less now!

I'm going to track my progress, log my meals, and hopefully reverse my medical issues. The IBS is nearly non existent already. My only issue is the consuming of animals. I know all about organic and sustainable farms, but it's hard for my brain to start eating meat again. My naturopath convinced me to start with canned Salmon. I've been eating a lot of it-lol. Guess I have some moral issues to grapple with too but I'm motivated and ready to take back control of my life. Goodbye Grain Goddess!!

Not sure how well I'm doing the diet, but here goes:

B: 3.5 oz canned salmon and some avocado soup (coconut milk, chilies, avocado, lemon juice)
    S: 10 almonds
    L: lettuce and spinach picked from my garden, tomatoes, red pepper, and salmon with oil dressing
    S: Raw Jack cheese--about 2 medium pieces
    D: Avocado soup and salmon

It comes to about 1600 calories with around 60 of them being from carbs.
    Workout: yesterday I did an hour of cardio on the elliptical and today I did some intensive weight training. I started out 122lbs this morning and probably ate a bit too much fats. I've got to get more protein (other than salmon) into my diet somehow.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    You can be a Primal pescatarian. Mark's wife is. But I recommend this blog by a former vegan who was almost ready to die for veganism.

Good luck! I want to see you in one of Mark's success stories.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Awesome! Thanks Hedonist. That was exactly the right thing to read and at the perfect time.
    Last edited by PrimalKath; 07-14-2011 at 06:29 AM.

Yesterday:

B: Primal salad from my garden including spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, and the sweetest green pepper(can't buy them like that in stores), almonds, raw jack cheese and salmon.

L: Not really hungry (shock!) so I grabbed a handful of almonds

D: Salmon, avocado, and a big bowl of caulif. with butter and a couple bites of raw cheese

S: Starving before bed so I grabbed a few more almonds

For a workout: Walked outside for an hour to build some vitamin D

Woke up this morning--weight back down to 120. Amazing! --was super tired yesterday but I assume my body is missing crackers and rice. ha ha

BryanC is offline Member
    Chained to an Art Board in Washington State
    The Avocado Soup sounds wonderful!
    I'm just your average, legendary superhero, trapped in a lump of flesh.

Scottish Highland Games: a sport where the fat kid gets picked FIRST.

Hi Bryan!

**cheating on rice crackers right now (confession) If it's any help I'm eating them with organic cheese.