Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I ate a pound of beef, is that bad? page

vixen2188 is offline Junior Member

I ate a pound of beef, is that bad?

Primal Fuel
    So yesterday I decided I was going to make a meatza with ground beef. I topped it with cheddar cheese, zucchini, cherry tomatoes and onion. I had eaten a big salad earlier in the day consisting of romaine lettuce, sardines, artichoke parmesan dressing, tomatoes, cucumber and carrots. I had a small amount of cauliflower in some broth and oil after work. I cut the meatza in half and then ended up eating the whole thing. I had felt hungry a couple hours after dinner. After I finished off the meatza I was waaaay to full but it caught up to me afterwards and in the morning I still felt like I was full...Just looking for what you guys think and if I overate...

oh, I am a 24 old female. 5'5" 113 LBS
    Last edited by vixen2188; 07-12-2011 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Left out info

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Nope. If all you had was the salad, cauliflower, and meatza that sounds like a decent calories intake to me. I (and many others on this forum) actually prefer eating 1-2 meals a day versus lots of smaller meals.

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully it's still ok if I am 24 year old female and 113 LBS at 5'5"...i left out that info

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Haha, I've eaten 5 pounds of beef, lamb and pork in a single sitting complete with half a pound of hard parmesan, and I'm a 135 lb guy. You will be fine. I eat a pound and a half of meat every day on average. I eat two meals a day, so one of them always has at least a pound of meat in it...and I'm still hungry after. 1 pound of beef is only 100g of protein, assuming it's not a fatty cut. I would recommend that everyone get at least a pound of meat a day into their diet because no one should really be eating under 100g of protein IMO. If you can't have a pound of meat, a dozen extra large eggs will do.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Hey thanks for your reply. Makes me feel better...My BF isn't doing this with me and so I kinda felt like a pig eating a whole meatza. He thinks it would "give him a heart attack". I am not worried about that but I just wanted to ask because I was so full afterwards and sometimes ground beef doesnt digest as well as other meats for me. Thanks again!

Just be aware that beef is pretty insulinogenic - nothing like grains and starches, but quite a bit more than you think. The thing I've learned about Primal is it's great to maintain weight. You can pretty much eat all the meat you want and not put on body fat...but it's a lot harder to LOSE WEIGHT once you hit homeostasis. Are you doing this for weight loss? If you are and you have a lot of weight to lose, you can afford to eat quite a bit of meat and you'll lose. However, if you have 10-15 pounds to lose, you're gonna have to go for lean cuts and cycle your carbohydrates with high carb/low fat days to lose that. If you're just doing this for health and not weight loss, well you have nothing to be worried about. Don't fear beef!
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Well I only weigh 113 LBS so I doubt I need to lose 10 to 15 LBS of fat. I still have a slight "jiggle" on my tummy that I would like gone so a little fat loss is concern. I did not know that beef is a little insulinogenic. That is something I needed to know because I suffer from PCOS and that causes me to be more insulin sensitive then most. Perhaps that's why it doesn't digest as well for me as other meats do. I can eat half to 1 LBS of lamb and feel better then I do eating that same amount of beef.

Well, that may have to do with the quality of conventionally-raised beef. Everything with protein or carbohydrates raises your insulin. It has to get stored somewhere. Eggs, cheese, beef, chicken...beef just happens to be a little more insulogenic than eggs or nuts, but it's still good for you. Give the primal thing a shot and see if it works for you. However, if you're that thin and looking to cut down just a little bit, you may find that you need to use carb refeeds to do so. You should check out the link in my signature.

Check out this link. It's the "insulin index". These foods may not raise your blood sugar much if at all, but it'll give you an idea of the insulin response they cause relative to each other.

http://www.mmcdiet.com/mydocuments/d...?f=insindx.pdf

Thanks I will check it out. I have been primal for a little over a month. Of course I have had a few mishaps but I had been gluten free before that for about 6 months. Still getting those damn sugar cravings and corn chip cravings. I'll check out the link. Hope you don't mind my friend add!

ELizabeth826 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Heck yes it's bad...ass.
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast