Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: I ate a pound of beef, is that bad? page 3

  1. #21
    localad's Avatar
    localad is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    370
    ChocoTaco369: I enjoy all your posts on these threads; you have even tempted me with your forum exploitations, to 'up my phys' and 'down some rice' in the interests of learning a leaner homeostasis. I don't know you but I like you!
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

  2. #22
    wiltondeportes's Avatar
    wiltondeportes Guest
    I eat half that...in one meal. Sometimes I even eat a little more if I'm really hungry. So no, eat up.

    If you feel like you're eating more meat than you need, supplement the meat with fat like some bone marrow. In other words...say the meat is 90gm of protein and 45gm of fat. Eat 45gm more of fat to even out the meal. The fat is what you are using for energy, so if that 1 pound of meat was lean, it didn't do ALL that much for you besides muscle maintenance or repair.

    I usually eat marrow with my roasted meats or avocado with my canned fish (great convenience meal).

  3. #23
    DFH's Avatar
    DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    1,778
    I have been to Porcao in Rio... I can't even estimate how much I ate, sheesh!

    They have these cards on the table that you turn over to stop them from adding more to your plate...



    oink oink...

  4. #24
    Ransom's Avatar
    Ransom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    HAHAHA! You need to come to Fogo de Chao with me. I'm not joking when I say 5 pounds of lamb, pork and beef in a sitting. Plus tons of hard cheeses and 3 steak caesar salads and a fried banana for dessert. I tested my blood sugar an hour and a half after all that food and it was 88 (my fasting glucose is 79-80). If you're not eating a pound a meat a day, even as a woman, you're not eating enough meat IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Oh I literally couldn't stand up straight after. If I would have stood up, food would have came up and gagged me. I walked hunched at a 90 degree angle the 4 blocks to my car. I was out of breath because my stomach was pushing against my lungs so hard I couldn't catch my breath
    Man, I love that place. My wife took me there for my Birthday last year and it's just so amazing. I don't think I hit the 5 pound mark but I was in about the same boat as far as standing is concerned.... and being out of breath.

    In reference to your comment lean meats to lose that last 10-15 pounds - I eat higher carb/low fat on workout days and low carb/high fat on non-workout days. However, I don't really think about what kind of meat I'm eating on the high carb days - I just use as little extra fat (a little for cooking the veggies) as possible. On those days my protein usually consists of varying combinations of eggs, bacon, beef, bison, venison, sausage, chicken (not much), maybe some cheese and maybe some pork rinds. My carbs are usually just a ton of veggies but not necessarily starchy ones. I'm not going for all out carb refeeds but am rather just carb cycling. Will my efforts to lean out a little more (I'm 5'6", 157#, and about 14% bf) be in vain with this kind of approach? I lift heavy things three days a week but I just can't stand too much white meat chicken and fish. It's just so bland....
    Strength and Honor

  5. #25
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Man, I love that place. My wife took me there for my Birthday last year and it's just so amazing. I don't think I hit the 5 pound mark but I was in about the same boat as far as standing is concerned.... and being out of breath.

    In reference to your comment lean meats to lose that last 10-15 pounds - I eat higher carb/low fat on workout days and low carb/high fat on non-workout days. However, I don't really think about what kind of meat I'm eating on the high carb days - I just use as little extra fat (a little for cooking the veggies) as possible. On those days my protein usually consists of varying combinations of eggs, bacon, beef, bison, venison, sausage, chicken (not much), maybe some cheese and maybe some pork rinds. My carbs are usually just a ton of veggies but not necessarily starchy ones. I'm not going for all out carb refeeds but am rather just carb cycling. Will my efforts to lean out a little more (I'm 5'6", 157#, and about 14% bf) be in vain with this kind of approach? I lift heavy things three days a week but I just can't stand too much white meat chicken and fish. It's just so bland....
    Will it lean you out? You tell me, because it's what I do

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post504709

    The only thing I have to add is to cycle your "calories" as well. In other words, on your lift heavy things day, you should be overeating, especially your protein. I weigh 135 lbs and I eat 200g of protein on those days so I maintain my muscle while cutting. On the off days and low level workout days, I only take in about 150g of protein and I undereat my maintenance. Overall, I'm coming in at a slight energy deficit which is helping drive the fat loss, but on my workout days, the overfeeding is actually helping me build muscle. The fat is pouring off like a waterfall, but I'm not losing too much weight since my overfeeding is helping me build lean muscle at the same time.

    I can't wait til I reach my goal so I can use this method to bulk up. It'll be what I'm doing now, but with a whole lot more food!!
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  6. #26
    Ransom's Avatar
    Ransom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Will it lean you out? You tell me, because it's what I do

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post504709

    The only thing I have to add is to cycle your "calories" as well. In other words, on your lift heavy things day, you should be overeating, especially your protein. I weigh 135 lbs and I eat 200g of protein on those days so I maintain my muscle while cutting. On the off days and low level workout days, I only take in about 150g of protein and I undereat my maintenance. Overall, I'm coming in at a slight energy deficit which is helping drive the fat loss, but on my workout days, the overfeeding is actually helping me build muscle. The fat is pouring off like a waterfall, but I'm not losing too much weight since my overfeeding is helping me build lean muscle at the same time.

    I can't wait til I reach my goal so I can use this method to bulk up. It'll be what I'm doing now, but with a whole lot more food!!
    Impressive pictures. I really see a lot more definition is your arms, shoulders, and waist. Well done. So, my issue may not be the meat but more my calorie cycling. I shoot for the about the same protein (150g a day) and calories (about 2000) every day with different amounts of carbs/fat dependent on the day. I've been "afraid" to overeat protein (aka, too many calories) as I want to lose that last bit (need calorie deficit). I fast 16/8 with one to two 24 hour fasts a week and a once a month 40 hour fast so I eat two meals a day. I make my post workout one really large (about 14 - 16 oz of meat) and lots of carbs and my second smaller (6-8 oz meat) and less carbs. My rest days are the same protein and calories only more balanced between the two. So your saying even more protein on LFT days and about what I'm doing on rest days (protein-wise). However, I'm not lifting really heavy but rather do Crossfit style workouts or WOWs for my LFT days. For example, today I did 5 rounds for time where one round was a 400m run, 20 DL at 145#, 20 pushups, 10 DL at 145#, and 10 pushups. It took me about 20 minutes. Is that lifting "heavy" enough for this kind of program? Thanks!
    Strength and Honor

  7. #27
    Horsewoman's Avatar
    Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    1,510
    We're worrying that beef is insulinogenic now? Noooooo! It's too much!!!! lol

    Quote Originally Posted by Lily Marie View Post
    If you have insulin problems, eating excess protein is not ideal and can be harmful. Everyone's protein needs differ.
    Well, by defination eating "excess" anything will be bad. The question is, what is excess? The leptin reset for example, which is supposedto help leptin and insulin resistance, required 50g of protein at breakfast, an amount many would consider excessive.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

    Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

    Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

    "Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

  8. #28
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Impressive pictures. I really see a lot more definition is your arms, shoulders, and waist. Well done. So, my issue may not be the meat but more my calorie cycling. I shoot for the about the same protein (150g a day) and calories (about 2000) every day with different amounts of carbs/fat dependent on the day. I've been "afraid" to overeat protein (aka, too many calories) as I want to lose that last bit (need calorie deficit). I fast 16/8 with one to two 24 hour fasts a week and a once a month 40 hour fast so I eat two meals a day. I make my post workout one really large (about 14 - 16 oz of meat) and lots of carbs and my second smaller (6-8 oz meat) and less carbs. My rest days are the same protein and calories only more balanced between the two. So your saying even more protein on LFT days and about what I'm doing on rest days (protein-wise). However, I'm not lifting really heavy but rather do Crossfit style workouts or WOWs for my LFT days. For example, today I did 5 rounds for time where one round was a 400m run, 20 DL at 145#, 20 pushups, 10 DL at 145#, and 10 pushups. It took me about 20 minutes. Is that lifting "heavy" enough for this kind of program? Thanks!
    A couple things. Body weight isn't heavy for me. The day that you laid out for me is easier than my low level days where I just light jog 3-4 miles. That at least takes 35 minutes. Same thing with 145 pound deadlifts. I weigh 135 pounds and I do 250 pound dead lifts. 2 months ago I was doing 165 lb deadlifts. Do you know what that stress is like on your body to lift 110 pounds over weight? A freaking lot. This is what you should be doing on LHT days:

    One day, do your chest and back. On this day, you do squats FIRST, then benchpresses SECOND, shoulder shrugs THIRD. Then you can mess around with any flies, reverse flies, pushups or whatever else you wanna throw in. The first 3 exercises will blast your glycogen because they're heavy as shit and tax the living hell out of your central nervous system, which is how you get bigger. You'll never get big with body weight and isolation exercises because they don't tax your central nervous system, which is what you have to do to make testosterone, HGH and insulin-like growth factor-1.

    Second day, do your sprints. Bust your ass in 30 second intervals. I do 60 second intervals when I'm on a treadmill because of speed caps, but when field running I can only make it 30 seconds. I take 60 second breaks between sets. Do ten of those bad boys after a light 5 minute warmup jog. End with a 5 minute cool down jog. You'll be blasted again.

    Third day, do your shoulders and arms. Start with deadlifts. It should be as heavy as you can lift. No high rep light weight bullshit. We need to empty our glycogen. Follow that with behind-the-neck shoulder presses. Follow that with military presses. Follow that with heavy straight bar curls. Any dumbbell curls, forearm work and the like you want to add at this point is just gravy. Again, you'll be blasted.

    I strongly recommend following Leangains' reverse-pyramid approach. Your first set, you should lift as absolutely heavy as you can 5 times. If you only get it up 4 times, that's better than being able to get it up 6. Heavy is key, and you'll never be able to lift as heavy as that first set. Your second set, take 5% of the weight off and match the reps of your first set. The third set, take off 10% and do it until failure. When you can't push out another, you're done. Follow that methodology for all your workouts. That goes for situps, too. You shouldn't be doing 50 situps. You wouldn't work out your chest by doing 50 reps, so why your stomach? I hold a 35 pound weight like a baby and do 3 sets of 10. I'd do more if I was big enough to hold a 45 pound plate.

    The reason why things aren't working for you is you're doing high reps/light weight. You're not emptying your glycogen, so all those carbs you're eating aren't getting stored in your muscles. They're spilling over into fat tissue. You're a hamster caught in a wheel running the race against yourself. You need to focus on brief, HEAVY weights. That's how you empty your muscles. Second, the lack of the calorie cycling is hurting you, too. You're eating constant lower calorie, which is a prescription for burning up all your muscle and keeping all your fat. Calorie cycling is effective because it allows you to overfeed on training days so you actually build muscle, and even though you're overall eating at a deficit, those overfeeding days trick your body into thinking food isn't scarce. Hey, you're regularly stuffing your face, so there's no need to hold onto emergency fat! And for God's sake, I'm a 135 lb pathetic excuse for a man. If I'm eating 200g of protein on lift days, I won't accept you eating any less! Your goal is to eat 2 pounds of red meat on lift days. Make it happen!
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 07-13-2011 at 12:38 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  9. #29
    Ransom's Avatar
    Ransom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    189
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    A couple things. Body weight isn't heavy for me. The day that you laid out for me is easier than my low level days where I just light jog 3-4 miles. That at least takes 35 minutes. Same thing with 145 pound deadlifts. I weigh 135 pounds and I do 250 pound dead lifts. 2 months ago I was doing 165 lb deadlifts. Do you know what that stress is like on your body to lift 110 pounds over weight? A freaking lot. This is what you should be doing on LHT days:

    One day, do your chest and back. On this day, you do squats FIRST, then benchpresses SECOND, shoulder shrugs THIRD. Then you can mess around with any flies, reverse flies, pushups or whatever else you wanna throw in. The first 3 exercises will blast your glycogen because they're heavy as shit and tax the living hell out of your central nervous system, which is how you get bigger. You'll never get big with body weight and isolation exercises because they don't tax your central nervous system, which is what you have to do to make testosterone, HGH and insulin-like growth factor-1.

    Second day, do your sprints. Bust your ass in 30 second intervals. I do 60 second intervals when I'm on a treadmill because of speed caps, but when field running I can only make it 30 seconds. I take 60 second breaks between sets. Do ten of those bad boys after a light 5 minute warmup jog. End with a 5 minute cool down jog. You'll be blasted again.

    Third day, do your shoulders and arms. Start with deadlifts. It should be as heavy as you can lift. No high rep light weight bullshit. We need to empty our glycogen. Follow that with behind-the-neck shoulder presses. Follow that with military presses. Follow that with heavy straight bar curls. Any dumbbell curls, forearm work and the like you want to add at this point is just gravy. Again, you'll be blasted.

    I strongly recommend following Leangains' reverse-pyramid approach. Your first set, you should lift as absolutely heavy as you can 5 times. If you only get it up 4 times, that's better than being able to get it up 6. Heavy is key, and you'll never be able to lift as heavy as that first set. Your second set, take 5% of the weight off and match the reps of your first set. The third set, take off 10% and do it until failure. When you can't push out another, you're done. Follow that methodology for all your workouts. That goes for situps, too. You shouldn't be doing 50 situps. You wouldn't work out your chest by doing 50 reps, so why your stomach? I hold a 35 pound weight like a baby and do 3 sets of 10. I'd do more if I was big enough to hold a 45 pound plate.

    The reason why things aren't working for you is you're doing high reps/light weight. You're not emptying your glycogen, so all those carbs you're eating aren't getting stored in your muscles. They're spilling over into fat tissue. You're a hamster caught in a wheel running the race against yourself. You need to focus on brief, HEAVY weights. That's how you empty your muscles. Second, the lack of the calorie cycling is hurting you, too. You're eating constant lower calorie, which is a prescription for burning up all your muscle and keeping all your fat. Calorie cycling is effective because it allows you to overfeed on training days so you actually build muscle, and even though you're overall eating at a deficit, those overfeeding days trick your body into thinking food isn't scarce. Hey, you're regularly stuffing your face, so there's no need to hold onto emergency fat! And for God's sake, I'm a 135 lb pathetic excuse for a man. If I'm eating 200g of protein on lift days, I won't accept you eating any less! Your goal is to eat 2 pounds of red meat on lift days. Make it happen!
    Alright - this is annoying. I typed a really long response and my internet blitzed and I lost it all. So this response will probably be shorter and not as detailed because I don't want to type it all again.

    My question to all that you said is basically this - what if my goals aren't to put on a lot of muscle but rather to lose a little fat without losing muscle? Check out this photo album for a little contextMobileMe Gallery. I've put on a little weight since then as I spent two weeks in Italy and lived it up. I am about 160# now and was about 155# before Italy and have been as low as 148#. I put on about 10 pounds and have lots 7 or so in two weeks. I got to that point simply doing 3 LHT days a week (CF or WOW), a sprint day, and then moving for about 3 hours - usually walking. To me I don't think that I'm "on a hamster wheel" or "spilling carbs into my fat stores" as I don't eat really starchy carbs so I'm only eating like 100g at most even on lift days. Also, I don't want to spend a long time in the gym. Right now it's about 10-40 minutes and what you described sounds like I'd be in the gym for an hour and I don't want that. Also, as far as the lifts and the approach - first, how do you decided how heavy to go, just guesswork for starters and go from there? Second, I feel like you say to do certain muscle groups but then do others that don't fit that area to me (arms and shoulders but you do deadlift?). And you mentioned doing situps but never said anything about those when listing your days - do you just do that every session? I'm not dogging what you're doing or your advice (hey, I asked) but I think our goals are different and I'm wondering if your advice would change seeing where I am and what I want. I'm going for simple, not a long time in the gym, while still losing a little fat. Oh, one more thing, I'm confused how repping 145# on deadlift 150 times, doing 150 pushups, and running 1.25 miles doesn't deplete your glycogen stores. Really? Do I just not understand how this works? Do I really have to spend hours in the gym throwing around huge weights to deplete that store? I used to do that before primal (My old DL max was 435# but not any more) but have not done it sense going primal because it just took so freaking long and I didn't want to be in the gym that much.

    So that's about a 6th of what I wrote originally and I cut a lot out (grrr) but I didn't want to type it all again. I think I gave you the gist.
    Strength and Honor

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •