Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food containers and other things page

Pezerinno is offline Senior Member

Food containers and other things

Shop Now
    Hello, I'm getting back on the wagon regarding healthy lifestyle after being off the last 8 months due to cancer. I'm in need of some food containers and wondering what sort to get as I'm concerned about BPA. Should I try and find stainless steel ones? Also for those of you who do dairy do you have any concerns over your milk containers as where I live they're all plastic. One more thing I need a new frying pan - should I be concerned over non-stick ones? I'm not sure if I'm being too particular as apparently BPA is in the water pipes so I imagine I'm drinking a lot of it anyway; also it can be absorbed by the skin when showering.

Thanks!

dado Guest
    glass is always good

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    glass is always good
    What he said. The wife and I always use glass containers, even for the freezer. It works great and it's microwave friendly.

As for frying pans, go with cast iron. Non-stick pans with Teflon are highly toxic if overheated.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Any plastic that is marked with the 3 or 7 recycle sign may contain BPA. The others (1,2,4,5,6) *shouldn't* have BPA in them, but they still might.
    I would NEVER microwave plastic containers. Not only could it leach BPA, but other xenoestrogens, carcinogens and a bunch of other shit, right into the food.
    Stick with glass for the most part. I wouldn't worry too much about the plastic containers for the milk. They are usually a "1" (PETE) and while it's not an optimal container, it doesn't ever get heated with the milk in it, thus forcing the contaminants into the milk. However, you should be able to buy milk in glass, or at least cardboard, containers. You might have to look, but I am sure they are around.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Sudenveri is offline Senior Member
    Pyrex, baby. Microwave safe, won't leach stuff into your food (as others have said, microwaving plastic does Bad Things on a molecular level) and is pretty widely available in a range of shapes and sizes. You can heat and chill it without worrying about shattering (Pyrex was originally developed as a material for laboratory glassware) unless you do something extreme like taking it from the oven and putting it directly into the freezer. Most containers do have plastic lids, but plenty are BPA-free, and you can leave them off if you heat the container in the microwave (I use wax paper or a paper towel to prevent splatters).

Teflon can be toxic if over-heated, but it's very difficult to do so. As long as there's food in the pan, it's not going to cause any negative effects. You do have to watch out for scratches, as they will leach toxins into the food. It's not terribly hard to care for them properly, though - just avoid using metal utensils or scrubby pads on them and they'll be fine.

Thank you for your replies. I'm still not convinced on microwaves but good to know pyrex is ok if I ever come round to them. I'll look into the teflon a little closer before deciding.

By the way does anyone know if a Brita type water filter can filter out bpa from tap water?

Paleobird Guest
    Hello Pez!!!!!!!
    Good to hear from you. How are you doing?

I think teflon pans are fine as long as they are relatively new and in good condition. It's when they get old and the coating starts to flake off that I would be wary of them.

Robin

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    For containers, the Pyrex work well. They have plastic lids, but without BPA. Even sans BPA, I recommend removing them and covering the food with a paper towel instead when nuking it. Over time, heat will warp the plastic and the seal won't be tight. Hand wash the lids for the same reason: even the top rack gets too hot for the long term health of the plastic.

You can get them at wally world or target, or shop on line for a better price.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Hello Pez!!!!!!!
    Good to hear from you. How are you doing?

I think teflon pans are fine as long as they are relatively new and in good condition. It's when they get old and the coating starts to flake off that I would be wary of them.
    Hi Paleobird,

I'm pretty good thanks, looking forward to getting back exercising and eating right after my hiatus!

EricS is offline Member
    Someone linked these in one of the threads I read yesterday. The Container Store > Glasslockô Food Storage Containers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast