Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another reason to avoid all grains- gluten contamination page

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member

Another reason to avoid all grains- gluten contamination

Shop Now
    I came across this Celiac Disease Diet Study: Many Gluten-free Grains Contaminated | Suite101.com.

It doesn't surprise me really, I've found wheat-like grains in packets of millet and even in a bag of "Allergycare" buckwheat flakes. Even more of an issue for me since as well as being severely intolerant of gluten I also react to corn and oats so contamination from those can affect me as well (like I reacted to rice flakes and then discovered the same brand also makes gluten free oat flakes, probably on the same line or next to each other).

I know quite a few of us are finding we do better with more carbs, but really best to do it without any grains at all if possible IMO.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Silky is offline Senior Member
    Hi horsewoman. I feel for you. Must be so frustrating to have things labelled as ok, then find they are not. Must be really awful being that sensitive and not knowing what products you can trust. I think you are right, safest way is to avoid all grains.

Also all grains contain gluten-type proteins, less nasty ones than wheat gliadin but can still be a problem.

Not at all difficult to believe that grains in any regular quantity are not really what we should be eating.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Yes, all grains bother me. I was pretty badly glutened a few weeks back when I didn't read the label on some macadamia nuts. At least they put it on the label, that it could have traces of wheat. Duh. But grains and most beans are pretty notorious for being cross contaminated.

EricS is offline Member
    It definitely makes sense, and there's no malice in it. As a farmer I can't imagine trying to maintain clean room conditions to make sure there's no cross contamination and as a producer I couldn't imagine being able to filter out every bit of contamination the farmer gives me.

Hell even if you maintained all your equipment such that you only ever used it on sorghum, there's nothing that says you aren't going to get a volunteer plant of wheat in your sorghum field. To keep all contamination out is quite simply an impossibility, to those that sensitive to gluten, giving up grains really is the only way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by EricS View Post
    It definitely makes sense, and there's no malice in it. As a farmer I can't imagine trying to maintain clean room conditions to make sure there's no cross contamination and as a producer I couldn't imagine being able to filter out every bit of contamination the farmer gives me.

Hell even if you maintained all your equipment such that you only ever used it on sorghum, there's nothing that says you aren't going to get a volunteer plant of wheat in your sorghum field. To keep all contamination out is quite simply an impossibility, to those that sensitive to gluten, giving up grains really is the only way to go.
    Exactly. Okay so they can produce super-expensive gluten free oats for a niche market but no way are other grains going to be cc free. Even grains harvested overseas somewhere where they don't grow gluten grains may be packaged by the supermarket or whatever in the same factory or presumably even on the same line as gluten grains.

I am crossing my fingers that this is the reason why I gto joint pain when I added in potatoes and rice. Then I won't have to give up nightshades and can still use potatoes and sweet potatoes for carbs and not feel like I've got to have grains or otherwise have sweet potatoes only.

Harold Whitman

lolov is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsewoman View Post
    Exactly. Okay so they can produce super-expensive gluten free oats for a niche market but no way are other grains going to be cc free. Even grains harvested overseas somewhere where they don't grow gluten grains may be packaged by the supermarket or whatever in the same factory or presumably even on the same line as gluten grains.

I am crossing my fingers that this is the reason why I gto joint pain when I added in potatoes and rice. Then I won't have to give up nightshades and can still use potatoes and sweet potatoes for carbs and not feel like I've got to have grains or otherwise have sweet potatoes only.
    Rice has no gluten and (if it's white) is basically just starch - without any nasties. It's the only grain I can eat without consequences ;-) I'd guess that if you got joint pain when you added both potatoes and rice, that it was the potatoes (since they are nightshades.)

However, sweet potatoes are NOT nightshades (YAY!!!) so, even if you had to give up white potatoes, you can still enjoy sweet potatoes

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsewoman View Post
    Try adding just the rice and see if that gives you joint pains. If so, it isn't nightshades that you are intolerant of, but most likely a bacterial overgrowth, common with Celiac/GS. All starches feed bacteria, and if you have a particularly leaky gut then joint pain is a common problem. It's why I can't eat starches. Do you use commercial almond or coconut milk? If so, check the ingredients. I also react to carageenan and xanthan and guar gums. For some reason I can eat sweet potatoes (thankfully or I'd go nuts), but other starchy stuff kills me.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Nightshades kill me - the pain is so bad that if I even handle potatoes to make fries or mashed for the family, I can feel it the next day (and need to take meds). Modified food starch is potato starch and is also in many products, so I make almost everything from scratch. Sweet potato chips fried in the same oil used to make potato chips even gets me. Atleast being primal, I can now just avoid it all and do better. Sweet potatoes are way yummier than white potatoes anyway. The thing I don't get is people trying this WOE to feel better but not giving up nightshades when they find that this group of foods also causes them problems.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    The thing I don't get is people trying this WOE to feel better but not giving up nightshades when they find that this group of foods also causes them problems.
    Nightshades are tasty, and can add alot of flavour to dishes. I don't use them alot, but I would miss tomatos, or being able to add peppers to add some crunch or some heat. Grains I don't particularly miss at all, they were a medium to get tasty things into me.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast