Thread: Lower carbs for more energy?

Lower carbs for more energy?

Shop Now
    Hello everyone;

I've been following PB for about 9 months or so now to control severe rheumatoid arthritis with great success. I've also lost most/all of my extra pounds.

One problem I've been struggling with is energy. I occasionally have a week or two where I feel really great energy wise, but more often than not I am very tired.

I don't count calories or carbs. I probably eat a very high carbohydrate diet compared to many people here. I eat fruit and/or dark chocolate every day. I have read a few times that I diet high in carbohydrate can promote inflammation.

I'm trying to decide whether it might be worth my effort to try lower carbs for a while to see if I can boost my energy.

Anyone notice more/less energy with changes in carb intake? Or changes in inflammation?

Thanks for your thoughts!!

ETA: I should add that my energy on PB is greatly, greatly improved compared to before. I still don't have what I consider a normal amount of energy though and would like to try to improve.
    Last edited by jammies; 07-11-2011 at 11:52 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    I keep carbs below 50 a day to stay in ketosis. For me this is mostly about the ketogenic diet's effect on epilepsy. I am hoping to be able to dial back my meds a bit soon. As long as I stay in ketosis, I feel great. I can still when I slip out and start feeling sluggish.

How's your vitamin D? Sun and motion tend to give me more energy. If I stay on the couch I don't feel like getting up. Catch 22 situation you just have to discipline yourself to break.

If that's not the case then I might look to some other reasons. I know a high carb meal will make me sluggish after, but its not usually a whole day thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    One problem I've been struggling with is energy. I occasionally have a week or two where I feel really great energy wise, but more often than not I am very tired.
    See your doctor and tell him or her. The doctor will probably get a series of bloodtests run. Then you'll know whether you have some specific problem, such as hypothyroidism.

Oddly, the lower carbs that I go the more energy that I have. I sprint or lift weights 5-6 days a week and 4 of 7 days probably only eat 30-40g of carbs. Even after my workouts I still have a very high level of energy. I will say that i make sure that I get 8 hours of sleep which probably helps tremendously but low carbs=high energy for me

Shop Now
    Make sure that you are eating enough fat when you do limit your carbs, but I would give it a shot if you feel like it.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.