Thread: Acid reflux back with a vengeance! page

elektro is offline Member

Acid reflux back with a vengeance!

When I first started eating Primal my acid reflux went away completely and stayed that way for a long time. In the past month though it has come back as bad if not worse than ever. I can't think of any changes I've made to my diet or my lifestyle since it came back. Any suggestions on how I can figure out what's causing it? Any primal safe foods that others have found to trigger it? I fixed this with diet before and want to do it again and avoid having to take meds.
    Thanks!

New Cave Lady here is offline Junior Member
    I'm new here too. My bad heartburn went away when i stopped the carbs. Eating primal has helped a lot. But i notice that if i put sugar in my tea i can
    get the heartburn back at times. Usually it's gone. I ate a lot of cheese with my meal and i got heartburn, but it's more rare now. Have you EVER had
    the prilosec stuff? The meds that stop the stomach pump from putting out acid? If so, what happens is that when you stop the meds your stomach now
    works overtime to pump out more acid and hb comes back with a vengence. Don't know what else to say. I am surprised it came back with you. Do
    you use sugar in your hot drinks? I use stevia, but i also use brown sugar. I'm a sweet freak, but even so the carb cravings went away. The little sugar
    in my tea doesn't give me cravings. I cheated last wk and had popcorn....got bad heartburn 2 hrs after!

nolineon is offline Member
    Similar boat. I attribute it to my reintroduction of dairy but it'd require a lot more work to make meals without cottage cheese. Fish oil supplements are another common culprit. If you start IF-ing that could cause it as well. It takes some time for your stomach to adjust to mornings without food.

I usually take 2 Tums before my big meals along with a Pepcid AC OTC type product. I use the Costco generic version.

Good luck!

JTWolflied is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've heard that apple cider vinegar can help with these sorts of things as well. I know I used to get bad heartburn from eating pork, but when I started eating it with a little side bowl of ACV as a condiment to dip it in, the burn stopped happening. I've since started using it as a base for my salad dressings and various other ways, I don't get any sort of digestion discomfort anymore from anything I eat. Not sure if that's any help, but just some anecdotal experience.
    http://www.getmoneyout.com

Start: March 2011
    Start Weight: 245 lbs.
    Current Weight (November 2011): 208.4 lbs. and counting.
    Goal weight: 195 lbs.