Thread: New Italian Study on Fatty Foods page

Digby is offline Senior Member

New Italian Study on Fatty Foods

Primal Fuel
    May be used to support more stupid diets, but maybe not: When Fatty Feasts Are Driven by Automatic Pilot - NYTimes.com
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Mike in Virginia is online now Senior Member
    What kind of fats were used? And what else were the rats fed? And what is a natural diet for rats compared to humans? This study, like all others that we pay for twice (once to conduct them, then to pay for the results of the advice given on the basis of faulty conclusions), is worthless.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

stephenmarklay is offline Senior Member
    So damn typical really. Hmm rats like to eat fat. Gets them high! Cool.

First leap of faith: This is a bad thing in rats. Second leap of faith: We don't have a clue what to make of it but fatty foods make rats fat. Third leap of faith: It will do the same of humans.

And drum roll: They can come up with a DRUG to cure this.

F*cking idiots.

Mike in Virginia is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
    And drum roll: They can come up with a DRUG to cure this.
    That sums up "research" based on studies.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    The big problem isn't the association that the body makes between taste and nutrition: it's what allowed us to survive in the first place. The problem is when those associations are skewed by evolutionary novel foods -- basically, we end up craving the wrong things. Sure, fatty foods make us want more -- to a point. And if that food was genuinely nutritious, the body gets the signal that it doesn't need more. If it wasn't, and here's where plenty of modern foods fail, then the body sustains or increases the craving since the underlying nutritional need was not met.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Usually fatty foods make me full faster. And I'm not a rat. And which fats were the rats eating?

leomeister is offline Junior Member
    Note that their examples of "fatty foods" were all high carb foods as well: "potato chips, ice cream, chocolate brownies"

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaReina View Post
    The big problem isn't the association that the body makes between taste and nutrition: it's what allowed us to survive in the first place. The problem is when those associations are skewed by evolutionary novel foods -- basically, we end up craving the wrong things. Sure, fatty foods make us want more -- to a point. And if that food was genuinely nutritious, the body gets the signal that it doesn't need more. If it wasn't, and here's where plenty of modern foods fail, then the body sustains or increases the craving since the underlying nutritional need was not met.
    Agreed
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)