Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Asthma & Diet page

Dolphin is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Asthma & Diet

Just curious if anybody here has encountered a direct relation between having Asthma and their Diet ?

I've been told there is a direct correlation between the two from a Natural treatment based Homeopathic oriented Dr whom I trust. I've always had asthma from childhood but only in the last 6 or so years has it become chronic to the point where I'm on a daily regimen of Advair, which perturbs me no end.

Aside from being a vegetarian (that eats fish) I've been advised to stay away from all Dairy, Wheat, Oranges, Bananas, Tomatoes, Corn, most breads and Soy products. Drink Almond and Hemp milk as opposed to the soy milk I thought was healthy.

It's stunning how much stuff contains wheat and the soy thing completely twists my head as to what I thought was a fairly healthy diet that I've commandeered for quite some time. 6'2" and 150lbs for most of my life. Skinny is me and rarely sick. Would have never imagined my diet was contributing to the asthma but if diet can kick the Advair out the door I'm game to give it a shot ... assuming I can deal with a new regimen of consumption.

Won't be easy, that's for sure
    Last edited by Dolphin; 07-12-2011 at 12:58 AM.

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Cutting grains (no dairy 35yrs) made a huge difference in my asthma. Took about 4-6wks before I noticed a significant change and another 4 before I felt comfortable decreasing meds. My last lung function test was in April, my worst month of the year dues to allergies. I scored 92%, I've never scored that high especially in the spring. No more exercise induced incidents either!

WOW ... that'll give me inspiration. Once I figure out how to completely deal with the Wheat and Soy thing that seems to pervade the universe I'll feel somewhat accomplished, relatively speaking. I certainly don't expect this to happen overnight but it is interesting how the need for the Advair fluctuates at this point. Just doing my best to observe how it's relating to my intake.

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    If you are looking for a trigger for your asthma, please don't piss around with homeopathic pseudo science, the ramifications are to dire.
    I had a mate die from an attack a few years ago. Get some proper (medical) testing done first to eliminate the usual suspects like dust mites, pollution, aspirin, pollen, certain preservatives, stress ect, then examine your diet.
    It could be diet, but far more likley something airborne.

Aside from being a vegetarian (that eats fish) I've been advised to stay away from all Dairy, Wheat, Oranges, Bananas, Tomatoes, most breads and Soy products. Drink Almond and Hemp milk as opposed to the soy milk I thought was healthy.

Who made this rather eclectic list and what are they basing it on? (soy is plant semen, so I'll agree with that)

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    My asthma worstened to where I was on daily treatment and twice required emergency treatment. Going off wheat stopped it cold. Now I only take medication when I have a cold or such.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

inquisitiveone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
    Aside from being a vegetarian (that eats fish) I've been advised to stay away from all Dairy, Wheat, Oranges, Bananas, Tomatoes, most breads and Soy products. Drink Almond and Hemp milk as opposed to the soy milk I thought was healthy.
    Many raw milk advocates claim—and apparently some research data show—that raw milk (especially raw goat milk) can actually help cure asthma. When I did a course of acupuncture for my asthma, I was told to restrict dairy and wheat, but nothing was said about oranges, bananas, or tomatoes. It didn't seem to make a huge difference, but I almost certainly wasn't consistent enough with it long enough to know for sure.

If you think dropping all those foods will be too much of a challenge, try one for two–three weeks to see how you do. I'd get rid of grains first, as they seem to be problematic to many people. Good luck with it.
    “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t — you’re right.” ~ Henry Ford

My primal journal

@Dave ...
    I do appreciate your concern and am indeed sorry to hear about your friend. Being acquainted with this condition and its progression my entire life I'm quite aware of when it creeps in. I've been on daily doses of Advair for close to 6 years and the prospect of a continual diet of steroids for the rest of my life doesn't quite thrill me.

I assure you also that the recommendation/treatment is being given by a fully accredited MD who attended a highly respected Med school but often questioned traditional practices enough to look at alternative methods when the standard approach didn't seem to yield satisfactory results. She's got a full tool bag so to speak and has found that the body friendly approach can be very powerful if applied logically with insight into ALL that is available.

I might add that she very recently oversaw treatment for a rather severe spider bite I had on my arm (Recluse I'm told). Yes, I had a Rx as prescribed by an ER Dr who looked at it for 60" after i waited for 3 hours in a not so busy waiting room. What really bugged me was I knew I needed a Rx and there was only one Dr in the ER. The point is though without her directed treatment afterwards, I highly dought I'd be looking at what is impossible to tell that anything even happened ... 4 weeks later.

Previously, there had been an area about the size of a half dollar that cratered, turned black with an inch and a half of dark red halo that effected the lymph nodes in the upper part of the arm to a 6x3 inch swath under my armpit. Between her and an herbalist I know, unless I showed you the spot you'd never know it even happened. So ... that said, I'm willing to listen when she says "I can cure the Asthma". I'll believe it when it happens. I just figure it's' worth a shot.
    Last edited by Dolphin; 07-12-2011 at 01:37 AM.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Just curious if anybody here has encountered a direct relation between having Asthma and their Diet ?
    Have you tried googling "paleo asthma" ?

There are a couple of interesting articles at Whole Health source, too:

Whole Health Source: Vitamin D May Prevent Flu and Asthma

Whole Health Source: The Tokelau Island Migrant Study: Asthma

I've been told there is a direct correlation between the two from a Natural treatment based Homeopathic oriented Dr whom I trust. I've always had asthma from childhood but only in the last 6 or so years has it become chronic to the point where I'm on a daily regimen of Advair, which perturbs me no end.

People seem to think there may be a connection between excessive consumption of carbohydrates. Also it's been suggested there's a link with inflammation. Bearing both those in mind, yes, bread (all not most) should probably go. Soy products should certainly go—they're highly inflammatory. Soy is one of the most harmful foods out there and only pushed (word chosen deliberately) at the public because it's cheap to grow and makes huge profits for agribusiness. I believe that the Chinese, who first cultivated soy, for hundreds of years did nothing other than use it as a nitrogen fixer: they certainly didn't eat it themselves. Eventually, they discovered that long natural fermentation will deal with some of the nasty substances in it and began to eat small amounts of fermented soy foods. Most ordinary supermarket soy products are not fermented: avoid them. In particular, as a male you should be concerned about the phytoestrogens—plant substances similar to female hormone—in it. Here is a list of the studies that have shown problems with soy isoflavones—it's a long one:

Studies Showing Adverse Effects of Isoflavones, 1950-2010

I'm not sure what your doctor has against some of these other foods. Paleo people will often take dairy and foods from the "nightshade group", such as tomatoes, out of the diet and that seems to help some people. Maybe some people react badly to oranges and bananas—I just don't know.

Bearing in mind the first link at the top I gave, I would try some vitamin D myself, since most people's levels of it are lower than optimal. We don't spend our lives outside these days, unlike our ancestors. Perhaps you could mention vitamin D to your doctor and see what he says.

If you take dairy out, as you say you've been recommended to do, you're taking out a good source of fat-soluble vitamins (such as D, A, and K). That's not good news if you're a vegetarian. If you're not going to eat dairy, you probably should eat liver once or twice a week. I suggest watching the video linked here:

The Daily Lipid: "Are Animal Fats Good for You?" Lecture Now Free Online

It makes the importance of vitamin A clear, and tells how to get it—animal products (whether dairy or flesh products) I'm afraid. There's a precursor (beta-carotene) is plants, but conversion of that in the body to A is problematic.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    When I changed to Primal, here's what I lost:

114 pounds (so far)
    Asthma
    Arthritis
    Migraine
    IBS

Yes, diet makes a difference in a thousand different ways.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    @Dave ...
    I do appreciate your concern and am indeed sorry to hear about your friend. Being acquainted with this condition and its progression my entire life I'm quite aware of when it creeps in. I've been on daily doses of Advair for close to 6 years and the prospect of a continual diet of steroids for the rest of my life doesn't quite thrill me.

I assure you also that the recommendation/treatment is being given by a fully accredited MD who attended a highly respected Med school but often questioned traditional practices enough to look at alternative methods when the standard approach didn't seem to yield satisfactory results. She's got a full tool bag so to speak and has found that the body friendly approach can be very powerful if applied logically with insight into ALL that is available.

I might add that very recently she very recently oversaw treatment for a rather severe spider bite I had on my arm (Recluse I'm told). Yes, I had a Rx as prescribed by an ER Dr who looked at it for 60" after i waited for 3 hours in a not so busy waiting room. What really bugged me was I knew I needed a Rx and there was only one Dr in the ER. The point is though without her directed treatment afterwards, I highly dought I'd be looking at what is impossible to tell that anything even happened ... 4 weeks later.

Previously, there had been an area about the size of a half dollar that cratered, turned black with an inch and a half of dark red halo that effected the lymph nodes in the upper part of the arm to a 6x3 inch swath under my armpit. Between her and an herbalist I know, unless I showed you the spot you'd never know it even happened. So ... that said, I'm willing to listen when she says "I can cure the Asthma". I'll believe it when it happens. I just figure it's' worth a shot.
    Good for you.
    Leaving no stone unturned never hurt anyone.
    I hope it does turn out to be a fix as simple as diet.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast