Thread: Tapioca? page

Lawbat is offline Senior Member

Tapioca?

Primal Fuel
    Almost eaten alive (probably raw), when I inquired about the acceptability of tapioca as primal/paleo.

Can't seem to find a lot of information on it on the net, seems starchy and "bad", but perhaps not all that bad?

Found a brand that makes a gluten free, wheat free, tapioca bread. 11 grams of carbs, 2 sugars, per slice. I know I know, sandwiches were actually created by beings of pure evil, and to indulge is blasphemous... BUT...

22 grams of carbs and 4 sugars and no gluten seems well within acceptable carb-range.

Anyone have any reason NOT to eat this stuff? Other then some religious adherence to paleo in some sort of a "if it's a sandwich it must be evil", and "if you don't know if it's bad for you, then it's probably bad for you" sort of dogma?

ps--- I've just joined this forum, after lurking a bit, and it seems awfully awfully nice here.
    Other cave places on the net are a bit, shall we say, prehistoric?

Paleobird Guest
    You obviously haven't done a search on Rivven+sandwich. Try it. I dare you.

No one said that starch is evil. Grain is bad for you but not all starch. Potatoes are primal. Just that you need to watch your carbs if you are trying to lose weight. Tapioca is a root starch if I'm not mistaken so it should be just fine.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I ended up with a loaf of tapioca bread last week. It makes delicious French toast but as bread it's pretty crumby (as in dry.)

I'll enjoy it maybe on special occasions (like Christmas morning breakfast with the family) but I couldn't make it a habit.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    You obviously haven't done a search on Rivven+sandwich. Try it. I dare you.

No one said that starch is evil. Grain is bad for you but not all starch. Potatoes are primal. Just that you need to watch your carbs if you are trying to lose weight. Tapioca is a root starch if I'm not mistaken so it should be just fine.
    This... this... was amazing. No seriously. That was amazing. That was CHANGE MY LIFE/LUNCH amazing.

I've made almond flour pizza crusts and what not, and they take a while, and they're edible and all... but this recipe just said 20 seconds in the microwave.

Spectacular.

Also-- thanks for the starch isn't evil thing.

Primal is so much NICER and more fun then paleo...
    It's like Primal Grok is a Happy Grok?

Why is that?

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawbat View Post
    Why is that?
    Because Primal isn't a religion to most people that follow it.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawbat View Post
    This... this... was amazing. No seriously. That was amazing. That was CHANGE MY LIFE/LUNCH amazing.
    I've made almond flour pizza crusts and what not, and they take a while, and they're edible and all... but this recipe just said 20 seconds in the microwave.
    Spectacular.
    Also-- thanks for the starch isn't evil thing.
    Primal is so much NICER and more fun then paleo...
    It's like Primal Grok is a Happy Grok?
    Why is that?
    Hehe. Yes, Rivven is the king of the Primal sandwich.
    Primal just makes room under the tent for more people with different goals and needs. It also treats people like adults capable of making up their own minds on things like should I eat dairy, how many carbs is right for me, etc.

Welcome to the tent.

Thanks for the bread, the advice, and the welcome!