Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bastards page

Moochy is online now Senior Member

Bastards

Shop Now
    Fast Food Chains, Pepsi and Makers of Prepackaged Groceries Join Forces Against "Senseless" Michelle Obama

While Michelle Obama dances to Beyonce's “Move Your Body,” the American food industry is singing to the tune to “Ring the Alarm.”

Nobody's happy that American kids are ballooning to unprecedented sizes and developing diabetes before all their teeth come in. So one might assume that the first lady's effort to curb the childhood obesity crisis would be one of the few noncontroversial initiatives to come out of this White House -- right?

Well, not exactly.

A bill that would create voluntary nutritional standards for foods marketed to children, apparently, is a step too far for US food producers, fast-food chains and the media companies that promote them. Those forces, under the name Sensible Food Policy Coalition, have launched a lobbying campaign to stop the new guidelines, the Washington Post reports.

While no one is saying childhood obesity isn't a problem, the food industry argues it's already lowered sugar, sodium and fat in foods marketed to kids, thanks to standards it developed itself in 2006 and plans to update this week.

The coalition, which includes General Mills, Kellogg, PepsiCo, Time Warner and Viacom is hoping to sway the public against government standards by playing on fears of worsening the jobs crisis.

Although it's hard to argue voluntary guidelines with no enforcement mechanism could be “job-killing regulations,” the coalition is trying just that, promoting an economic analysis by an advertising lobby that claims the new standards would kill 75,000 jobs and $30 billion in food and drink sales yearly. That assumes advertising for food and beverages would drop 20% as a result of the (again, voluntary) guidelines.

So presumably, these guidelines would not only be totally effective in stopping the marketing of junk foods to children -- using only the power of shame, not any statutory force -- but they also would prevent the industry from marketing and selling different products that don't violate the standards.

I guess you could say to America's food makers, SpongeBob SquarePants-branded macaroni and cheese is “Irreplaceable.”
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food.” Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Yvonne PHX Guest
    If your name is Obama, anything you do or say is a freakin' national emergency. It's getting old and tired.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne PHX View Post
    If your name is Obama, anything you do or say is a freakin' national emergency. It's getting old and tired.
    +1

Fast food and junk food companies suck.

Michelle Obama sucks.

Let them fight among themselves. Maybe they'll destroy each other and leave the rest of us the hell alone.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    I just compare this to the all out efforts to find a vaccine for polio when I was a kid, and nothing like the numbers of kids got polio that are now obese. We had all the might of our government and industry supporting INDEPENDENT research studies to find a cure.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Oh. My. God. Moochy, are you serious? The government has absolutely no business telling us what to eat, or how companies should run their business.

Michelle Obama, get the hell out, we don't need your crap.

Fast food chains, the makers of pre-packaged foods and Pepsi are in the right on this one. I'm all in favor of what they are doing.

BryanC is offline Member
    Chained to an Art Board in Washington State
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    +1

Fast food and junk food companies suck.

Michelle Obama sucks.

Let them fight among themselves. Maybe they'll destroy each other and leave the rest of us the hell alone.
    I'll see your +1 and raise you a +1
    I'm just your average, legendary superhero, trapped in a lump of flesh.

Scottish Highland Games: a sport where the fat kid gets picked FIRST.

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Her heart is in the right place. She's just trying to change too much, too quickly. And she's a bit misinformed. Big companies will always look out for number 1.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    Correction. Almost all companies of all sizes will always look out for number 1. It's the very nature of a free enterprise market system.

Grok is offline Senior Member

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    "Do as I say, not as I do."

Mama Obama says eat your veggies. Nevermind she's sucking down a burger and fries.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast