Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puts it in perspective page

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

I wanted to add to that. This short story (mentioned in 4hww) has affected me a lot recently on my image of work and lifestyle:

An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, "only a little while."

The American then asked why didn't he stay out longer and catch more fish?

The Mexican said he had enough to support his family's immediate needs.

The American then asked, "but what do you do with the rest of your time?"

The Mexican fisherman said, "I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life."

The American scoffed, "I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise."

The Mexican fisherman asked, "But, how long will this all take?"

To which the American replied, "15 - 20 years."

"But what then?" Asked the Mexican.

The American laughed and said, "That's the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions!"

"Millions - then what?"

The American said, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos."

hmmm....

(from the 4 hour workweek)

klcarbaugh Guest

Haha. I love it.

My brother, sister and I all have this joke that we will grow up to be poor. We will be super happy, however, because we will have exactly the jobs we want.

I don't think its a joke at all.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

This is slightly depressing.....

eero Guest

I like that parable. Puts chasing money into perspective. Puts retirement into perspective.

But it doesn't really do much for those of us who aren't attracted to the "sip margaritas on the beach" lifestyle anyway.

I'm not going to waste my life fishing and napping. I'm destined for greatness!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I have a friend who lives in a dirt floored shack in the mountains of northern Mexico. He had polio when young, but can walk with a limp. His wife was similarly afflicted, but her mobility depends on a resin lawn chair being used as a walker. He makes a few pesos repairing electronics. (And he gets "free" health care from the government clinic right there in this village.)

I remember our first time together when after talking about values, money, and the Buddh, Jose declaring "I am poor. But I am happy!" While I think there might have been a bit of bravado in that statement, I think it was more true than not.

Sometimes American culture does not have all the answers.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I wish I knew then what I know now...

Most of my life I'd been chasing dreams of grand careers and big money, trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. Always trying to figure out the best way to get ahead in the rat race of life.

It's funny. I spend several thousands of dollars trying to go to college. Both my dad and I are in debt. After all that work, hassle and hardship I find myself wanting one thing. A farm. Ironic, isn't it? Most of my life (so far) I'd been aiming for wealth and infamy. Now I just want a small self-sustaining farm and a husband with a good job. Ironic. P

Mr B Guest

^ I feel Diana. I'm trying to figure out how to have a self-sustaning household out in the country somewhere, as well.

However...I also want the wealth and such to go with it. lol

Yeah, you do need a certain amount of financial security. Though I think if you learn how to manage your money really well, you can be quite wealthy on even a small income. That's my goal- to work a small job and still become wealthy.

(Thank you, Dave Ramsey!)

Mr B Guest

Dave Ramsey is the best!

You're right, though. Play your cards right and you can generate significant wealth over time with even a smaller income.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I manage to live quite well on about $1000 a month. Anything over that is pure debt paying and wealth-building. Of course, it helps to be a scavenger. They call me "buzzard" at work because I'll eat nearly anything- lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast