Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Puts it in perspective page 2

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Wow we should start a primal Dave Ramsey fan club.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Hells yeah!

I swear, when I get to go on vacation, I'm going down to check out Financial Peace Plaza, and wave to Dave when he's doing the show. :P Someday I'm going to get VIP seats to a live event too.

glorth2 is offline Senior Member

I should've been a ski bum.

stevew is offline Member

A few people I know have been made redundant from big city jobs where they thought they would be secure for life earning big money...but the recession soon changed that. Funny thing is they're now much happier doing low paid, relatively low stress work they actually enjoy or at least can get a better work/life balance. One guy I know has just trained to be a ski instructor and will be working on a slope next year. Sometimes it takes a kick up the backside to realise you're not getting the lifestyle you really want or could get.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

I'm a dave ramsey fan too... DVR every friday night becasue I like debt free Friday. It's really just common sense but sometimes we need it layed out like that.

Total Money Makeover should be a required reading to pass into adulthood.

jrherring is offline Senior Member

I agree, though I don't know who Dave Ramsey is...yet.

I have told more than one boss that I'm not interested in a 'career'. I simply want to make enough to feed my family and live my life.

That doesn't take much.

Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

nina_70 Guest

This is a subject close to my heart. My hubby and I are actively working to simplify our lives (it's been a multi-year journey) and move towards happiness (I know that sounds corny, but seeking happiness is a big goal in my life these days). Thankfully we've both been financially prudent (always kept a budget, didn't overspend, sought to save at least 10%-30% of earnings) and are very resource-aware so we're able to walk the path. I resigned from my 80-hour workweek 2 years ago and have been persuing much lower-paid, but more satisying alternatives since then. Hubby is resigning from his job early next year and we're moving into a RV. We plan to spend the next 5-10 years travelling round, working as needed and experiencing a different side of life.

For those of you seeking a simpler lifestyle, some of these books are wonderful:

"The Simple Living Guide" A Sourcebook for Less Stressful, More Joyful Living (9780553067965): Janet Luhrs:

http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Living-Guide-Sourcebook-Stressful/dp/0553067966/

"The Complete Tightwad Gazette": Amy Dacyczyn

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Tight.../dp/0375752250

Jedi is offline Member

that sounds awesome, Nina and thank for the book tips. I did 12 years in humanitarian work, after my degree, with no salary and they were some of the best years of my life

Minxxa is offline Senior Member

Awww.. I LOVE the Tightwad Gazette!! I had all the books (from garage sales, LOL) when I was younger and had kids. I lived so cheap back then it was crazy!!

Now I mix it up. I don't go crazy spending, we do a lot of thrift store shopping for things, but also regular stores. I try not to overdo, but would rather spend a bit more on something I love, and keep it for years and enjoy it a lot!

I never have been a "career" person for the most part, but after turning 40 started really thinking about needing a job I enjoy and really wanting to work for myself. I'm going back to school next year to get my MA in Counseling-- ultimate goal is to have my own practice, my own hours and have some meaning and joy in my work. I think a career can be okay if it's what you love and you still have that work/life balance going on!

"Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

madMUHHH Guest

Knew that story before and depending on how you look at it, I guess I'm kinda lucky.

Oh, and first of all, hi there, I'm kinda back, in case you still remember me.

Well the thing is, whether you know it or not, I've been struggling with my health for quite a while now, even though I'm still goddamn young and this even though I already was eating kinda primal. I still don't really know whether I'm completely on the right track and what was wrong with me in the beginning, but this whole episode of my life has made me think a lot about my life and stuff (maybe some kind of very early midlife crisis^^).

And the conclusion I came to, is quite similiar to that of the story posted here. I am in the lucky situation to be very good at school, but still I think I should use that to my advantage to get a job and life that satisfies me and makes me happy, rather than earning a lot of cash. Actually, I also would find it very cool to have my own farm.

Oh, and on a side note. Here's another great story that "kinda" fits to the topic:

http://kalman.blogs.nytimes.com/2009...o-the-land/?em

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast