Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eggies page

Heidi is offline Senior Member

Eggies

Shop Now
    I totally suck at peeling hard boiled eggs (yesterday I had to throw 4 eggs in the garbage) and have tried just about every trick in the book to get those suckers peeled nicely. I saw something called Eggies in the store yesterday and am wondering if anyone's tried it to make hard boiled eggs. I almost bought it, but the plastic in boiling water concerns me. And nothing on the box or on their website says anything about the safety of the plastic. Too good to be true? Am I destined for a life without hard boiled eggs?

mgoodness is offline Junior Member
    Use old eggs.

Seriously. Keep them in the refrigerator for about a week before you boil them. I guarantee the shells will come off with a minimum of trouble.
    Last edited by mgoodness; 07-11-2011 at 12:21 PM.

ELizabeth826 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgoodness View Post
    Use old eggs.
    +1

My grandmother taught me this one and it is so much easier.
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

Chasintrail is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgoodness View Post
    Use old eggs.

Seriously. keep them in the refrigerator for about a week before you boil them. I guarantee the shells will come off with a minimum of trouble.
    This.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Agree. Let them age. Also, adding some baking soda to the boiling water helps the eggshells remain strong and thick, making them easier to remove in larger pieces.

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    Yep, older eggs are much easier to peel. Eggs shells are permeable, and there is a little airspace between the membrane and shell. As eggs age, the airspace gets bigger, and then membrane looser. Not that you wanted to know all the science behind it, but there you go
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Hunt3R is offline Member
    Ive always been told to rinse them in cold water as soon as they are done and that will make them easy to peel. So I always do that and I never have problems peeling mine. But I've never really tested the theory...

Thanks for the replies. I already tried using older eggs, putting baking soda in the water, rinsing off the eggs with cold water, and a bunch of other stuff. I must be the world's lousiest egg peeler. I've had some random successes, but don't want to keep making hard boiled eggs just to have a less than 50% chance of actually eating them. I really like hard boiled eggs, though, and was hoping that Eggies might be a solution to my problem. At the store I also saw some gizmo that supposedly peels the egg for you. Probably too good to be true, but I may get desperate here soon.

EricS is offline Member
    Are you using too much pressure? I flick the egg with my finger to get the initial crack and pick a bit out with my fingernail. Then I can usually slide my fingernail under the shell, pull up gently and slide my finger between the shell and the egg. You can usually get the whole egg in just a couple peels this way.

I'm trying to think of an analog to this but aside from oranges which have a lot tougher skin I can't think of any. Basically like an orange except you can't roll the eggs cause you'll shatter the shell all over and you have to be a little more gentle when you pull up. Sometimes you get smaller pieces but you just slide your fingernail underneath it and pick it off.

There's lots of videos on youtube, I just watched a guy pick the top and the bottom off the egg and blow the whole thing out the shell. Maybe some looks there can help you.

Eric, lol, I saw that youtube video and tried blowing the egg out. It looked cool when that guy did it, anyway.

I'll try being more gentle with the egg and see if that works for me. If not, I'm buying that silly-looking egg peeler product I saw at the store. I can always return it if it's a dud. My last resort after that may be buying those pricy hard boiled eggs at the store that are already peeled. The way I've been wasting eggs, I guess it wouldn't be too expensive after all.

Gosh, I feel like that kid in gym class who could never climb the rope.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast