Thread: 2 questions- Salad Dressing and Breakfast sausage page

gofigerr is offline Junior Member

2 questions- Salad Dressing and Breakfast sausage

Shop Now
    I am so new I have lots of questions. I'll be eating a lot of salad. Can I have ceasar and blue cheese dressing or is just oil and vinegar recommended?

Second, i bought some breakfast sausage links. They list 0 sugar on the nutritional lable but the ingredients list sugar, so are these ok to eat or not???

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I think it depends on if you are getting that stuff at Walmart or the healthy food store!

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    If you can do dairy, I see no problem with them as they're traditionally made. If we're talking about bottled dressings you need to read the label. Frankly, most of them aren't a great choice. I have found one caesar that uses olive oil and no other oils and that's Virginia's Real Caesar. However every other salad dressing I've looked at has stuff like canola oil or soybean oil. If I'm eating at home, I make my own dressing or use that one caesar. When I'm eating out, I know if I eat the dressings they serve I'm likely going a little off the path of perfectly primal but I don't beat myself up about it. I don't eat out very often. If I did, I'd likely just ask the server for olive oil and vinegar or start packing my own dressing.

The breakfast sausage probably has half a gram or less of sugar per serving which allows them to say 0g. So it has sugar. Not a lot. The bacon I buy is the same way. I don't eat it every day. I generally don't like to eat processed meat products every day. I do love a little bacon or sausage with my breakfast on the weekend, though.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I think the sausage is fine. The amount of sugar is small enough to be pretty much inconsequential.

In general most commercially salad dressings are made primarily with soybean/canola oil. These should be avoided. So if you're eating them often in large quantities, you'd be better off making your own. Homemade blue cheese/caesar (or any homemade dressing) is great. Just use a high quality oil (like extra-virgin olive oil) or sour cream or whatever in place of the soybean/canola that the commercial manufacturers use.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    I think it depends on if you are getting that stuff at Walmart or the healthy food store!
    I usually shop at Whole Foods and, like I said upthread, I've only ever found one dressing there which did not contain unhealthy oils. I've spent a fair amount of time reading the labels and even the fancy pants organic dressings generally use either canola or soybean oil. They're more shelf stable and CW regards them as healthy.

gofigerr is offline Junior Member
    Thank you this site is so helpful.

leoneaj33 is offline Junior Member
    I eat out a lot so with salads I just ask for olive oil. They usually just bring me out a bottle and I can add as much as I want. At least this way I know what I'm getting.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    i use ranch on my salad. i put just enough on to give the taste not a whole lot really. the ranch i use only has 2 carbs per serving (2 tbsp) and i use at most 1/2 a serving probably less

i really dont think it hurts anything

nancy64 is offline Junior Member
    Actually most of the "olive oil" you get at restaurants is a blend of olive oil and canola or soy. I just asked yesterday and the waiter went back to look and sure enough...not 100%. You can still choose to eat that, but just to say that you cannot be sure what you are getting away from home. I have been known to bring mine with me...ignore red faced family.

leoneaj33 is offline Junior Member
    Ah, crap. stupid restaurant olive oil