Thread: Chia as flour substitute page

JayDPiii is offline Junior Member

Chia as flour substitute

Primal Fuel
    Pasted from a CHIA website .....
    Chia Seeds as Egg or flour substitute

Egg substitute:
    Here's good news for vegans or anyone else who doesn't include eggs in their diets: chia seeds
    (available from nutsonline) or Salba (a more expensive TradeMarked variety) as a gel can be used as an egg substitute in any recipe.
    To replace one egg, mix 2 tablespoons of chia with half a cup of cold water. This makes 1/4 c. of chia gel.

Flour substitute:
    Chia not only works as an egg substitute, but it also works as a flour substitute, which makes it ideal for people with gluten intolerance and celiac disease or people who are limiting their wheat intake for other reasons (like PBers). I've seen two different methods described for using chia as a flour substitute.

1.) The first is to simply replace the flour in any recipe with equal parts chia flour or chia mixed with another gluten-free flour.
    2.) The second method does not eliminate the flour altogether but reduces it by using 3 parts flour to 1 part ground chia.
    So, if the recipe calls for 1 cup flour you would use 3/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup chia.

To make chia flour, you can grind chia in a coffee grinder or powerful blender such as the Vitamix.

Jdp> Now, what I'm wondering is what would happen if one replaced both the eggs and flour with chia in the same recipe .....

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    they make great pets too!

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    they make great pets too!
    But, of course!

Just curious - can anyone share any experiences with this stuff? I'd like to try it, but I'm thinking that to sub it for both egg and flour would just yield a bucket-o-GLOP! Ya never know, though - I try not to assume....
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

~D~
    ~D~ is offline Junior Member
    I wonder if you could make pasta with it since it binds so well.