Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sprinting question page

gofigerr is offline Junior Member

Question Sprinting question

Hi Im new pretty new here and today I'm going 100% primal for the first time. I have a question about sprinting. I'm 42 female, about 15 pounds overweight mostly around the middle but still only 124 lbs. I used to do aerobics everyday but haven't in about 3 years, even with the aerobics my legs were very weak. I had an episode about 8 years ago playing coed softball...i was stopped on 2nd base, the ball was hit, i took off to sprint and before even getting to 3rd base i was on the ground and could not move my legs...literally could not move my legs..I had to be carried off of the field.

Any recommendations on sprinting without this happening??? How do I start or is there something I should eat first? Why does this happen? I haven't sprinted since so I think it's bound to happen again if I try.

Thanks!

fishin-frog is offline Member
    It doesn't sound to me like you are anywhere near ready to start sprinting, sorry for being so blunt. Go on some walks, maybe do some very easy and very short jogs, but no need in injuring yourself sprinting right from the get-go. Do some body wieght exercises and learn to listen to your body. It will tell you when it's ready to move on to more challenging exercises. Download Mark's Primal Blueprint Fitnes for some body weight ideas. The most discouraging thing you could do is find yourself out of action for weeks becuase you over worked yourself.

You'll obtain your goals faster by slowly transitioning than going all out from the beginning.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    mark recommends running starts when doing sprints rather then dead stop starts, basically jog at a slow pace and then take off running at full speed rather then sprinting from a full dead stop

its supposed to lessen possible injuries and strain to your joints
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Start with hill sprints.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999 View Post
    Start with hill sprints.
    This. The inclination will not allow you to go at full speeds. For my money though, it's better than flat land as you expend more of yourself as well. I do hill sprints 90% of the time. Also like Mike said, jog into the sprint that's what I do. It's good to start from dead start as well though, to develop explosiveness.

Given your understandable nervousness, maybe have a family member stand watch in case you lock up again. I'm not sure why that would happen but it would make me weary as well.

Regarding eating, since you're only 15lbs overweight, I would NOT recommend you cut carbs too low. I wouldn't concern myself with limiting any kind of carbohydrate that falls under "real, unprocessed food" (fruits, potatoes, etc) you may if you want decrease consumption of some "big offenders" like perhaps white potatoes but for you to go too low carb would probably not be a good idea.

For the first month at least, stick to eating real food and getting used to that.

gofigerr is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    This. The inclination will not allow you to go at full speeds. For my money though, it's better than flat land as you expend more of yourself as well. I do hill sprints 90% of the time. Also like Mike said, jog into the sprint that's what I do. It's good to start from dead start as well though, to develop explosiveness.

Given your understandable nervousness, maybe have a family member stand watch in case you lock up again. I'm not sure why that would happen but it would make me weary as well.

Regarding eating, since you're only 15lbs overweight, I would NOT recommend you cut carbs too low. I wouldn't concern myself with limiting any kind of carbohydrate that falls under "real, unprocessed food" (fruits, potatoes, etc) you may if you want decrease consumption of some "big offenders" like perhaps white potatoes but for you to go too low carb would probably not be a good idea.

For the first month at least, stick to eating real food and getting used to that.
    Thank you! I was told that it happend because i used up all of the glycogen(?) in my legs too fast....I'm concerned that the weight I have gained is due to insulin resistance. It's all around my middle and I put it on after starting HRT which I have to take, no getting around it. So I want to watch the carbs. But I guess just getting rid of the processed bread, pasta, cereal, etc and eating the nuts, veggies and fats should help, what about wine, do you think I should completely cut that out at first? I love red wine, I think I'll put my body into shock if I ditch that with everything else lol. One glass after dinner ok?

astronmr20 is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps try sprints on a recubnant bike or regular bicycle first. The main thing while you are starting out is to just get your heart rate up.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gofigerr View Post
    Thank you! I was told that it happend because i used up all of the glycogen(?) in my legs too fast....I'm concerned that the weight I have gained is due to insulin resistance. It's all around my middle and I put it on after starting HRT which I have to take, no getting around it. So I want to watch the carbs. But I guess just getting rid of the processed bread, pasta, cereal, etc and eating the nuts, veggies and fats should help, what about wine, do you think I should completely cut that out at first? I love red wine, I think I'll put my body into shock if I ditch that with everything else lol. One glass after dinner ok?
    Honestly, that's probably all you need to do. I'm quite confident you will experience better health (and weight loss, thought at 15lbs overweight I'm not expecting anything too dramatic or fast) I wouldn't cut out the red wine, but I also wouldn't have it every single night because to me it would lose its appeal. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, in fact, if you're to consume alcohol that's probably the best choice.

Your glycogen should be fine if you don't go cutting your carbs do the bone. To "replace" the grains, breads, pasta, etc just load up on vegetables of all kinds and you should be just fine.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gofigerr View Post
    Whoever told you that you had to be carried off a baseball field because of glycogen depletion is someone you should NEVER take medical and nutrition advice from!
    Hill sprints are great, but take it easy at first, true sprints are a very hard exercise, among the hardest there is.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A glass of red wine after dinner is not going to be a big deal. Mark does it, I do too usually.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast