Thread: Quality of sleep rather than quantity? page

entwyf is offline Senior Member

Quality of sleep rather than quantity?

Shop Now
    Whether it's due to stress, too much light in my sleep environment, or some other factor, for years now I have never really been able to get more than six, sometimes seven hours of sleep a night. I have always needed about nine to feel rested.

I have had diagnosed--and treated--sleep apnea for about four and a half years. I tend to think that, though my CPAP machine keeps my airway open at night, it somehow contributes to disrupted sleep by interfering with my body's innate breathing patterns.

In addition, I am about five years and nine months into being post-menopausal. I understand that can contribute to disordered sleep. My doctor (a woman) has not promoted hormone replacement at all and the pros and cons are so confusing to me that I have not pursued that.

At any rate, I am not getting enough sleep. Seriously, if I sit still anywhere and close my eyes for a few minutes, I start to fall asleep. It's not narcolepsy. If I keep my eyes open, I don't fall asleep.

I have tried darkening my room and covering lights, going to bed early, sleeping late, taking melatonin and vitamins, listening to music, isochronic tones . . .

Even if all conditions are optimal, these days I get six hours of sleep, more or less, no matter what I do. Last night, I went to bed at 10:30 and set my alarm for 6:30. This morning, my eyes popped open at 4:30.

Assuming that, for now, that's all I can get, is it possible to make those six hours somehow very good hours of sleep so that I can have SOME relief?

Thanks,
    Edith

P.S. Can anyone recommend a sleep mask that is not flimsy and actually blocks light?
    Last edited by entwyf; 07-11-2011 at 03:00 AM.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    This is the kind of mask I use: Amazon.com: Dream Zone- Earth Therapeutics Sleep Mask, 1ct: Beauty
    I also usually wear earplugs.

Have you tried going back to sleep after you wake up for the first time? A year or so ago, I started waking up EVERY night after about 4-5 hours of sleep, but I usually went back to sleep within 20 minutes (now it's closer to 5 or less). This worried me a good bit at first, but then I read this blog post: What is Biphasic Sleep? | Mark's Daily Apple

Worrying about waking in the night drained some of my energy and made me think that I wasn't getting enough restful sleep when I really was (most nights).

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    It could be hormones, or the CPAP setting.

I've had a CPAP about 15 years. About a year ago, I was waking up at 4:30/5:30 every night too. I started going to bed early, but it just shifted the time to wake up early too. By the end of a week of this, I would be waking at 1 or 2.

I told my thyroid/hormone doc about it and he said to try taking progesterone at night before bed, in addition to melatonin. I'm a guy, but guys need a small amount too. My doc said he got this tip from a Dutch colleague.

This totally worked, and now I have to be careful to not oversleep.

The progesterone says HMG-Progesterone on the bottle. It's a pill form from a dispensary, 50 mg.

I also had a sleep study done in Feb and got a new machine with less pressure. My apnea got better since the first time, but it didnt go away. This didn't change the length of sleep.