Thread: Headaches after primal meals - help? Thoughts? page

Grokavore is offline Junior Member
    Salt Lake City, UT

Unhappy Headaches after primal meals - help? Thoughts?

Shop Now
    I just joined and I'm struggling with a bit of an issue -

I have not gone completely primal diet-wise as I tend to get too black and white on things and fail to stick it out. So, with the goal of one primal meal per day beginning a few days ago, here's where I'm at:

Yesterday, I was fasting from waking until lunch. For lunch I had chicken vegetable soup and a salad with olive oil and apple cider viengar. Immediately after lunch, I got a headache. Just like a caffeine headache.

Lunch today was cioppino and a salad with olive oil and apple cider vinegar dressing. I felt pretty good after lunch. I came home, had a couple tablespoons of Justin's Hazelnut Chocolate nut butter (not primal, I know) and had a nap (side effect of working varying retail shifts). After my nap, I was hungry for an hour or so. Then I had dinner of turkey burger patty and salad with balsamic vinegar and Vega's antioxidant EFA oil blend. Now I've got a headache that's been going strong for the past couple hours since dinner.

What is causing my headache? Am I missing something in my diet? Is it because of slowly transitioning to primal eating? If so, will this go away? Anyone else experience this?

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    greater los angeles area
    this is likely a form of "carb flu" which many people experience as they transition from higher carb diets. The carbs in your other meals just make it worse. If you weren't fasting before, I would HIGHLY recommend not trying to fast until you've been fully primal for a while.

MikeRoger is offline Junior Member
    Learn More
    Headaches after eating may be caused by some simple food allergies or may be caused by something as severe as diabetes. I think headache is a normal symptom as one transitions to this diet, for 2-3 weeks. If diabetes is the cause of your headache, dietary changes and medications can cure the problem very quickly.