Thread: How do I weigh and count calories properly? page

PrimalPerson is offline Junior Member

How do I weigh and count calories properly?

Primal Fuel
    I weigh everything I eat and enter it all on fitday, but I'm confused about a couple of things.

When I log cherries, for instance, is the nutritional information for the full weight of the cherries, or only the weight of the edible portion? Does the weight of a tangerine include the peel? And the core for an apple? Personally, I weigh the cherries and then weigh what's left over and subtract that, same thing for the tangerine. But for the apple, I eat the core anyway so I just go with the full weight.

Also, about weighing raw and cooked foods. It's my understanding that cooked food is denser since the water content has been reduced. If I cook an onion, I weigh it, enter the raw weight, and then weigh and add in separately anything I'll add in the cooking process (fats). Is that the way to go?

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure if the small differences are all that important. It's not an exact science anyway, so don't stress. It's all an estimate anyway as far as nutrition information.

That said, try looking for food data that is more specific (like "edible portion only" or "weight before cooking"). For things like apples, they'll usually say something like "Large Granny Smith apple", with the assumption that you're not eating the core. But even if you did, or you didn't and they counted the core, it's not going to be a huge deal. It's still just an estimate.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    I'm not sure if the small differences are all that important. It's not an exact science anyway, so don't stress. It's all an estimate anyway as far as nutrition information.

That said, try looking for food data that is more specific (like "edible portion only" or "weight before cooking"). For things like apples, they'll usually say something like "Large Granny Smith apple", with the assumption that you're not eating the core. But even if you did, or you didn't and they counted the core, it's not going to be a huge deal. It's still just an estimate.
    Alright, that makes sense. It probably isn't a big deal compared to how much the content varies anyway.

mobettabody is offline Member
    I think I might shoot myself if I started weighing my food again. Going Primal freed me from all that.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by mobettabody View Post
    I think I might shoot myself if I started weighing my food again. Going Primal freed me from all that.
    Personally, I don't mind it at all. I would probably stress more if I didn't do it.