Thread: L-Tyrosine, L-Phenylananine, and Whey protein powder page

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member

L-Tyrosine, L-Phenylananine, and Whey protein powder

Shop Now
    So I was considering to supplement with L-Tyrosine and L-Phenylalanine, about 500mg each for their benefit as precursors for neurotransmitters, specifically dopamine.

Then I noticed on the bag of Whey protein powder I have that, amongst other amino acids, it has 800mg of L-Tyrosine and also of L-Phenylalanine (and 500mg of Tryptophan to boot).

Is there any benefit to taking those specific amino acids on their own or should I just rely on the protein powder and doubling up as necessary?

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    I think taking them on their own is better, as the idea is to increase the proportion of those AAs relative to the others. Eating plenty of protein does help too. Are you using a particular protocol? I took them as part of The Mood Cure. Didn't work for me but I know others have had good results.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Not using any particular protocol as yet, since I am just learning about these things. I did just amazon the Mood Cure so a bit more structure is expected soon.

My main interest right now it to determine whether I need to add additional separate supplements or whether it makes sense to up the ones I have that combine many amino acids. It does make sense that if I up the ones I have I may very well get excess of some amino acids that are not beneficial...

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    I take l-tyrosine and 5htp. Both have helped me make significant improvement on Energy and Mood. I take 2 500mg of l-tyrosine in the am (6am and 10 am) and 2 100mg 5htp in the afternoon/evening. (3 pm - 7pm)

PS - Loved your pictures. Great Job!
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    I take l-tyrosine and 5htp. Both have helped me make significant improvement on Energy and Mood. I take 2 500mg of l-tyrosine in the am (6am and 10 am) and 2 100mg 5htp in the afternoon/evening. (3 pm - 7pm)

PS - Loved your pictures. Great Job!
    Thanks Pebs!

After having done alot of research, I settled into 1 each 500mg Tyrosine and SAMe in the morning and again in the afternoon. These are combined with cofactors folic acid, b6, b12, c, and zinc in the morning. I may yet change it up again once my books arrive from Amazon.

Definitely noticing a difference, although the increased DHEA is helping too...