Thread: Veggie Burger an oxymoron in primal diet? page

Jeepgirl is offline Junior Member

Veggie Burger an oxymoron in primal diet?

Primal Fuel
    Today is my first day in the Primal world and I am exploring possible foods. I LOVE Boca burgers and the carb count looks ok, ( 6 grams, 0 sugar) I am wondering if the grain content will nix them. I am imagining a grilled bb on top of a huge romaine, cucumber and tomato salad, drizzled with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Thanks for any guidance!!
    Last edited by Jeepgirl; 07-10-2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: misspell

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Yes, sorry. Primal is flexible about some things but soy and wheat are forbidden. Are you uncomfortable eating meat? Or just like the Bocas? Tempeh and other fermented soy products are OK, though not ideal for Primal.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

New Cave Lady here is offline Junior Member
    I used to love those veggie burgers, then i realized that the soy in them is all genetically engineered and that alone stopped me from buying them. I
    really miss them! But i will never eat them again due to the genitically modified soy!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    You could probably make your own. I worked at a restaurant where the veggie pattie was made with JUST vegetables, don't recall any grains, and nothing to bind them. The restaurant went belly-up but the owners kept selling the veggie burgers. Now they are using the 'vegan' association to sell even more.

I bet something like cauliflower with its mild flavor could be used to add volume and perhaps help bind them. My mom throws an egg into her meat hamburgers to help bind, not sure how that changes shelf-life in a veggie burger scenario though.

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    have you tried sunshine burgers? they've got rice, but are otherwise okay. i eat them on occasion.
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Phaedrus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutsaffron View Post
    have you tried sunshine burgers? they've got rice, but are otherwise okay. i eat them on occasion.
    Those are the only ones we'll let our daughter eat. Boca burgers are not food.
    Brad

late onset type1 diabetic 4-27-10 @ age 30

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    The thing about Boca burgers (which I ate back in the day too) is that they are fake vegetarian soy-based food product designed to taste as much as possible like hamburgers.

So eat a real hamburger instead. (You can even buy pre-frozen patties.) And soon enough you'll wonder how and why you ever consumed anything as gross as a Boca. I admit the nukability is convenient, but read the ingredients -- Frankenfood.

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    Anything with Veggie-ground is forbidden in my house. We tried vegetarianism for a while a few years ago and it ended the day I tried veggie-ground. BARF!!!
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Not only do veggie pseudo-meats tend to contain soy, but they also almost always contain grain. I've been gluten-sick a few times after people decided to just not tell people at a potluck that their chili was made with veggie ground rather than meat (and when asked if it had any grain in it, said no). Gluten will make a celiac very ill, and some people have very serious soy allergies, and yet people think it's okay to just pass it off on people because they've decided that since it's vegetarian, it must be healthy and harmless.

Please note: I also disapprove of slipping chicken broth into something without telling a vegetarian, which used to happen to my brother when he was still strictly lacto-ovo veg. People have the right to know what they're eating.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't have any recipes but I've had some homemade veggie burgers, and they're surprisingly delicious. Beet burgers are amazing.

Consider homemade veggie burgers the equivalent to a real kobe burger and boca burgers the same as a soggy McDonalds patty.