Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personal Trainer Course...maybe not?? page

aussie1girl is offline Member

Personal Trainer Course...maybe not??

Shop Now
    Hi Everyone

I started eating primal just yesterday and even though I felt really tired today, I know it will get better and this is the lifestyle for me. I've been voraciously reading books on primal/paleo eating and I'm hooked. I also did my first CF class and I loved that too. I was getting so bored with my diet (porridge, 'healthy' grains, bread, lean meat, not too much fat etc etc) and exercise (3 sets of this or that) and knew in my heart there had to be a better way and that way is the primal lifestyle

I am enrolled to start a 2 year diploma in fitness in September but now I'm a bit concerned that I won't like some of the course content, especially the nutrition, as I'm pretty sure they teach the current food pyramid...good grief

My passion is to help elderly people get a better quality of life (if needed). Today I saw a man that started weight training a year ago at 99 years old and today they showed him doing squats etc at the grand age of 100 years old. He said he feels better and his quality of life has improved. His trainer was 69 years old and he looked years younger. They didn't mention their diets but just to know there was an improvement is so great.

I think trying to get elderly people on board the primal lifestyle might be a real challenge but oh how rewarding it would be when they decide to make the switch and see the benefits.

Any input from personal trainers that started working out with the clients in the 'traditional/food pyramid' way and have now switched to the primal lifestyle would be appreciated.

And any input from others would also be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

peril is offline Senior Member
    Remember that a lot of elderly people, especially those still fairly healthy, were eating very well until the 1970s, when government became active in nutrition. You might be surprised how happy they'll be to hear that the old tasty foods are healthy
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    I think it's great that you feel passionately about helping the elderly! Unfortunately these types of courses are usually a waste of time and/or a scam. Unless you know very little about fitness, you will probably feel frustrated or bored in that class. You should check out my article on becoming a personal trainer if you want to know more of my thoughts on the matter.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I kind of liken it to the business classes I took a while back. The younger students, fresh out of high school, were all wide-eyed and listening intently while the teacher talked about how things were done.

On the other hand, the older students, many of whom had been in the business world for years, all had smirks on their faces and were thinking "Bullshit! No one does things that way in the real world!"

Regardless, we all put the same answers to the same questions on the tests. You can disagree with (some of) the teachers while you're learning, but when it comes to test time, the teacher is always right, even when they're wrong. Then when you're out on your own and responsible for yourself, do what you believe is right and continue to learn every day.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    I kind of liken it to the business classes I took a while back. The younger students, fresh out of high school, were all wide-eyed and listening intently while the teacher talked about how things were done.

On the other hand, the older students, many of whom had been in the business world for years, all had smirks on their faces and were thinking "Bullshit! No one does things that way in the real world!"

Regardless, we all put the same answers to the same questions on the tests. You can disagree with (some of) the teachers while you're learning, but when it comes to test time, the teacher is always right, even when they're wrong. Then when you're out on your own and responsible for yourself, do what you believe is right and continue to learn every day.
    Hi RitaRose, thanks for your reply. I was in the business world for many years and hardly anyone did things by the book, well at least while the boss wasn't looking.

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Remember that a lot of elderly people, especially those still fairly healthy, were eating very well until the 1970s, when government became active in nutrition. You might be surprised how happy they'll be to hear that the old tasty foods are healthy
    This is really good advice, thanks Peril.

Hi Al,

In response to your post, I sent you a reply yesterday but it looks like the administrator blocked it, might have something to do with a cheeky swear word I used Anyway I read your article and I totally agree with your views.

The course that I'm thinking about doing is at an accredited college, full-time for 2 years. The coordinator said he was sick and tired of trainers that did a weekend on-line training course and then started working as a personal trainer. So it's pretty in depth and during the course we get to train emergency service personnel which would be so interesting.

Having said that, I too agree that a certification doesn't necessarily make you a good trainer. A few years ago I was at a gym watching one of the personal trainers & she really knew her stuff. I asked her where she got her certification and she said that she didn't have one that all her knowledge was from experience. She was clearly passionate about her job and cared for her clients.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post

Absolutely! Reminds me of drivers ed. too. Does anyone actually drive with their hands at 10 and 2 all the time? Anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by aussie1girl View Post
    Hi Al,

In response to your post, I sent you a reply yesterday but it looks like the administrator blocked it, might have something to do with a cheeky swear word I used Anyway I read your article and I totally agree with your views.

The course that I'm thinking about doing is at an accredited college, full-time for 2 years. The coordinator said he was sick and tired of trainers that did a weekend on-line training course and then started working as a personal trainer. So it's pretty in depth and during the course we get to train emergency service personnel which would be so interesting.

Having said that, I too agree that a certification doesn't necessarily make you a good trainer. A few years ago I was at a gym watching one of the personal trainers & she really knew her stuff. I asked her where she got her certification and she said that she didn't have one that all her knowledge was from experience. She was clearly passionate about her job and cared for her clients.

Cheers
    Hmm...strange that your comment was blocked, but glad you enjoyed the post. As far as going to school to be a trainer, I think you'd be better off getting a job at a gym as a front desk person or assistant manager. You could talk to the trainers/fitness staff there about training and observe tons of actual 1-on-1 sessions. In two years time you'll probably have learned more than you would going to school and you would have made money instead of spending it. Plus, when it comes time to get hired as a trainer, you already have fitness industry experience. But that's just my opinion.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    Can you really get a job as a trainer w/out some type of certification? I know many of them are worthless, but doesn't it give the facility some level of protection to have "certified" trainers?

Quote Originally Posted by JenCat View Post
    Can you really get a job as a trainer w/out some type of certification?
    Absolutely. Though it helps to have one.

Quote Originally Posted by JenCat View Post
    I know many of them are worthless, but doesn't it give the facility some level of protection to have "certified" trainers?
    Yes. This is why it's easier to get hired if you have one - but you certainly don't need two years of schooling to get one. If you have fitness experience, it shouldn't take more than a few weeks to study for and pass any of the basic cert. exams.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast