Thread: Newcomer Food Questions page

janjones2006 Guest

I'm a newbie here and have been doing really well on PB for the past 10 days. I have a few questions about some foods that aren't mentioned in the book. What's the take on seafood...like scallops, shrimp, lobster, etc.? (wild caught, of course). Also, wondering about grapeseed oil. I have been checking out Elana's pantry recipes and she uses that oil in lots of things. It's high in PUFA's from what I read online, but it doesn't come from a grain.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Hmmmmm.....Mark didn't mention seafood? That's interesting because that's the only meat his wife eats.

Your intuition is spot on about the grape seed oil. All seed oils are high in PUFA's.

The only fats found in my house now are olive oil, coconut oil, lard, and butter. I think most people lurking here have similar pantries.

Geoff is offline Member

Seafood is good. A big bowl of muscles steamed in wine and lobster with lots of drawn butter would be on my "death row" menu.

This might be controversial, but these days I think I might actually feel more comfortable eating farmed bivalves (muscles, oysters and, especially clams) than wild. I grew up on the wild stuff in New England, but the coastal muck in many areas there is now loaded with heavy metals and other pollutants that can concentrate in mollusks. A farmed bivalve would at least be subject to some oversight and quality control. Unless you know you're getting your bivalves from clean water and clean muck, I'd stick with the farmed product and ask your fish seller to show you the tags so you can see when they were harvested and where they came from.

Obviously, I'm only talking about bivalves here, not fin fish or crustaceans. Stick with the wild caught stuff there for sure.

maba is offline Senior Member

Geoff, it's interesting you say that. I've been getting wild shrimp and it has this weird "medicinal" taste. Wonder if it has anything to with the pollutants. The ones I get say "Wild caught from Gulf coast".

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

The Gulf coast where all the oil platforms are? Ooky...

Geoff is offline Member

PrimalCon New York

Maba - It may also have to do with the freezing process. Unless you catch them yourself, mail order them direct from a reputable supplier, or purchase something labeled as fresh, never frozen and live close enough to the Gulf to make driving there to watch the sunset on a weekday reasonable, it's overwhelmingly likely that the shrimp you're eating were frozen. Shrimp are often brined or dipped in a solution at sea to make them freeze better and to retard spoilage. The dip can sometimes give them an off taste.