Page 78 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a difference page 78

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Shop Now
    Haagen-Dazs is the bestest because it generally has so few ingredients. The vanilla and chocolate are best, but the DARK chocolate? Mmmph, so good.

But not good for someone like me who can't really do dairy anymore!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    DARK chocolate? Mmmph, so good.

But not good for someone like me who can't really do dairy anymore!
    Yeah, about the no dairy thing. For this I'll make an exception. Seriously sinfully decadent and delicious. Thanks for turning me on to it!
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Well, what do you know. Eat MORE food, break the stall. Was it a fluke?? Only time (and more food) will tell!

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Hi honeybuns! I can't wait for winter to thaw - then I can putz in my herb garden and plant four o'clocks in my front bed. We had hollyhocks "Nigra" there along with moonflowers, but found out that the soil isn't to their liking, and also the sun is way too wan in that corner. So we got plants that would get booed out of any flower show...

I found a video about the Pacific Northwest, and got to see the Hoquiam Logger Days festival (or something close to that title). Kids had a blast watching it. My latest Internet research has hit upon San Juan county, especially Orcas Island. And the "Seattle Freeze" - hating outsiders, Seattle style.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    Crabcakes, I live in Hoquiam.

As far as the Seattle Freeze, not everyone hates outsiders. Outsiders who are happy to be here and are being a part of living here are great. Outsiders who constantly complain that it isn't like where they left and don't even try to adjust to living here? Different matter.

The minimal dairy is going well. Milk and cream are off the menu, cheese and yogurt are still on because they are in the fridge. When they are gone I'll drop them for the most part. One day cheese stuffed me up, the next day it didn't. Still just one cup of coffee a day but i just read that it can cause bloating as well so I won't be sad to see it go.

I need to get back up into the hills. It is more of a duty than a pleasure with three dogs. I miss the dynamics I had before we lost Deuce in January 2012. He and Tabi and I could be gone for hours and I always knew where they were and they kept a very close eye on me. The Tabi, Moose, Reilly dynamic is so different. Oh, well. Bite the bullet, suck it up and just go. It will all sort itself out eventually.

Yesterday was a very good day. Two sunny days in a row this time of year are a real blessing and it was wonderful to spend them working outside. Greenhouse, finishing a new bed from planting down to mulching. Got the huge bags of potting soil put away out of the weather, got ready to lay brick for the gigantor planter area. Lots of muscle work and stretching and bending.

I am so trying not to give in to frustration again. I keep seeing the same number on the scale day after day after day.........I've been accumulating lots of pants in the next size down that are actually long enough and would really like to start wearing them.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Sorry about the unreal plateau. I wish I knew what to tell you.

Went to the store this morning after dropping Third off at school and bought some seeds. I don't have a black thumb, but I sure am good at making boneheaded mistakes. After all these years of making mistakes, you would think I can grow anything, but such is not the case. Sigh. I am the Queen of Hopeful Plans, though, and each year I succumb to the lure of seed packets... This year, my love affair with black flowers continues - bought black pansy seed, "Clear Crystals Black". To go with it - green-flowered zinnia seed, "Envy". Maybe I will add some Shasta daisy to that mix. The cats get cat grass, and Fourth wants sunflowers, so she got "Teddy Bear" and "Mammoth Russian" seed.

As soon as the garden centers have them, I will replant herbally stuff that didn't make it through our winter, mostly the basils, in every variety I can find them in. I managed to get a sweet woodruff patch going the last two years, only to have one of our cats decide to nest in it. That particular cat adores lolling around in my herb garden. Mostly he doesn't hurt much of anything, but that woodruff just couldn't take the abuse he heaped upon it. Although, I will tell you that Henry (the cat) always smells of the most luscious manly scents - woodruff, lavender, basil... We routinely sink our noses into his coat in the growing season just because he smells so damn good!

And I once lost an awesome dill planter to another cat (George) who would curl up in the round, shallow, terra cotta dill planter for a snooze. The young dill was smashed in a perfect circular pattern - just like a crop circle.

I was SOOOO proud of myself this past season - I put together this planter that you see. Cheapo 14" wire basket from the Dollar General, blue jeans in an insanely large size from Goodwill, and a cast iron hangar from Ace Hardware. Sorry the plants are dead... I got the idea for blue jeans from an English gardening site. They were espousing loose wool, instead of peat, in order to save the peat bogs, and were running through other ideas for eco-friendlier basket linings.

image.jpg
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

What a great idea to use the blue jeans as a liner! I never would have thought of it.

A couple more days of rain then three dry days. I'll get the brick laid! Yes, I can work in the rain but the area I am laying the brick is slippery, nasty clay soil that sticks in huge clumps to the bottom of my boots and makes me feel like Frankenstein's monster. Greenhouse chores, household chores and hitting the grocery stores are my fun adventures for the next couple of days.

Today was once again spent outside, this time lifting thousands of snowdrops and grape hyacinths (I'll spare you the botanical names). Forty years ago the man who lived here made a birdbath berm and planted it with bulbs. It is right up against the deck and the birdbath had deteriorated. It has been a pain to keep mowed, trimmed, tidy so a couple years ago I removed the birdbath and boulders. The time has come to level the berm and seed it so the whole area can just be mowed. There is no way I wanted to waste that many bulbs so, lifting the clumps, I'll be planting them all over the property. DH finished the cedar shingle siding today in the area where I want to put the huge oval planter so it looks like tomorrow I get to start laying brick in the area where it goes. This will be a week of LHT, move slowly frequently, odd positions..........two big plants to lift and relocate this week as well.

I am determined, I am stubborn and I will win.

Page 78 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast