Page 70 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a difference page 70

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel

He's gonna be a big one!
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

I have successfully managed to get my coffee consumption down to a single cup a day without the headaches and fatigue from caffeine withdrawal. Yay, me!! From 6 to 7 cups a day down to one is huge, especially since I was able to do it in less than a week. What helped? Drinking enough water, enough fat in my diet and having tea to fall back on when needed. I have tried for years to make this happen!!

I am so needing to get back up in the woods. Yes, it is wet today. Yes, it is windy today. Yes, I will come back happier!!

I was just at our local butcher shop where I discovered lots of natural cheese AND they sell big slabs of pigskin with fat attached inexpensively. I get to make my own lard! Guess I'll figure out how BEFORE I buy it.

Doing good on water consumption. Screw the scale, my bra is getting too big!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I wish my bra would get too *small* .

I haven't had the guts to inquire with Whole Foods about any grass-fed beef trimmings they have. I've heard some people get it for free if they just ask. I think I'd rather start with lard over tallow, though, since I've heard it smells better.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Wow. Just wow.
    I was melting cheese under the broiler yesterday to make cheese chips (failed miserably, by the way) and I had some Tillamook and some Hickory Farms that I was given for Christmas. The Tillamook melted, bubbled and browned nicely. The Hickory Farms........did nothing. Didn't melt, didn't bubble, didn't brown. Now, THAT is scary "food"!
    Last edited by honeybuns; 01-10-2013 at 08:58 AM. Reason: punctuation

Duh. Of course coconut butter would have a layer of oil on top. So does natural peanut butter. i am down to the coconut layer of coconut butter and it is plenty tasty!

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    I love coconut butter. Yum.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    I was just at our local butcher shop where I discovered lots of natural cheese AND they sell big slabs of pigskin with fat attached inexpensively. I get to make my own lard! Guess I'll figure out how BEFORE I buy it.
    I made tallow for the first time a few weeks back. Here is what I did - trimmed all fleshy bits off, you know, the actual muscle meat, and anything resembling bloody flecks. Roughly hacked at it with a chef knife until it made a pile of semi-regular chunks because I received my suet from the local processor in iceberg-sized hunks. Put that into my crock pot, turned the thing on, and let her rip for a full day and night. Ladled off the hot fat, then strained the leftover proteinaceous stuff (which by now was brown) into a stainless steel mesh strainer so that I could press out the last bits of fat that I could. Stored it in the fridge in a leftover plastic lard tub I got from our local processor as part of a previous lard purchase.

I would improve that next time by cutting my chunks possibly smaller. I discovered that my crock method does not produce cracklings-like bits, but since I haven't made lard, perhaps tallow just does not make cracklings. The tallow is AWESOME - snow white, and SUCH a saturated fat that it is like brittle candle wax when fridge cold.

I say just go for it! If I can make tallow, you can make lard!!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Duh. Of course coconut butter would have a layer of oil on top. So does natural peanut butter. i am down to the coconut layer of coconut butter and it is plenty tasty!
    P.S. What is coconut butter, and what do you do with it??
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Coconut butter is finely ground coconut meat. Kind of like when nuts are ground for butter. Even better than that, though. I am using the Maranatha brand which uses whole coconut meat, not what is left over after the oil is extracted. I can see where this would be delicious in some sort of dessert. Right now it is straight off the spoon for me. I'm thinking of melting some dark chocolate and mixing the coconut butter with it and letting it firm back up again. DECADENT!!

Page 70 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast