Page 61 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a difference page 61

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    We took the dogs to the ocean this afternoon to see how Heidi would react to the sounds of the surf since her potential adoptive family lives right on the coast. NO PROBLEM!! She spotted the seagulls and the race was on! My, can that girl run! She ran so fast and so far that we almost lost her in a fogbank. Fortunately her attention was captured by something Tabitha was sniffing and she came back. It would not do to lose her right before we are delivering her! Moose had not been to the ocean with us before so we weren't sure how he would react either. Suffice it to say that we will never let him off leash on the coast again! He spotted the waves and headed straight out into the surf and kept on going. He was far enough out that we both thought a wave would get him and take him away. Thank goodness we corralled him before it could!!

We are starting to fill our septic tank holes back in. It cannot happen soon enough! I want to be a girl again and I know this WILL NOT be my next career!!
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Long time, no post!

Yesterday was a very long, very rewarding day. We delivered Heidi the foster dog to her new adoptive family 5 hours away. It was fantastic to see her instantly bond with the three kids and the parents. Five weeks ago she was scared of EVERYTHING. Last week I did a saturation socialization with her and things that scared her at the start of it she ignored by the end of it. Within just a couple of hours after we dropped her off she cuddled up with the 5 year old girl and went to sleep. It couldn't have been a better fit!
    Since we were up at 3:45am to leave by 5am and drive, drive, drive, yesterdays food choices were not good ones. Ten hours of driving makes for a long, long day. I noticed last night the bloating, of course, but what really surprised me was how much worse the hot flashes and night sweats were. I didn't know how good I had it. Back to the good, tasty meals we are used to.

Interestingly enough, in spite of not getting the RPR's in, my saddle bags have not returned. I do feel a difference in the abdominal fat from the traveling day with poor food choices (ugh, not worth it). I don't know that I'll ever be where I'd like to be. It seems like I am getting nowhere in terms of body composition. It would help if I took more responsibility and paid closer attention to how my body reacts to different things. Maybe I cannot successfully do less than 95%.

DH is a dessert kind of person. For some reason he feels dessert is a must every single night. Undoubtedly it is because he was raised that way. For me, dessert was once a month MAYBE. So why do I feel like I need to join him when he has his dessert? Preferably I could be strong enough to not indulge with him but at the very least I could come up with healthier alternatives. Seriously, some nights I feel like I could do without dinner so why would I want to add something on top of that??

I need to expand my culinary repertoire. Lately I've been stuck in a rut which makes it all ho-hum at meal time. If I deep clean the kitchen and cupboards this week, get rid of the clutter, organize the freezer so I know what I have to work with, maybe I'll get inspired to try new things. I'll pick up some marrow bones for roasting today and get a good stock cooking. If nothing else, the house will smell good!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Dessert was an every-night thing for me growing up. For the most part, I've learned to live without, but if my hormones aren't in check, I crave something sweet in the evening. it seems to help me sweet.

Heavy cream & fruit is a primal favorite. You could sweeten some coconut milk & whip it, if dairy is an issue. Maybe you could make him some dark chocolate fudge, with not too much sugar, or something like Stevia?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

All great ideas. I need to stop being lazy and figure something out. I know that dried apricots will satisfy me when I want something sweet, but he is an ice cream, pie, cookies kind of a guy. Maybe some Primal Brownies would do the trick. I need to put on my big girl panties and tell him that I do not wish anything this evening, thank you very much.

I do need to get back to the heavy cream and fruit. I really enjoy it and have gotten away from it. That being said, if I eat a smaller dinner I could make the dessert part of the meal, couldn't I?

BeckaSki is offline Senior Member
    A smaller dinner could then include dessert. It's just an additional course in your dinner

My hubby is also a dessert lover. He requires chocoloate more than any hormone-driven woman I've ever met. A little dark chocolate is within my allowance, so we usually have some. I keep the 88% for him for non-dessert times, since I think it tastes like chalk and it doesn't appeal to me at all. Can you switch your hubby to chocolate covered nuts or something?

For your general cooking ambivalance maybe it's time to bust out your crock pot? I've been working my way through the America's Test Kitchen Slowcooker Book. The variation in spices with the same-old standbys has been amazing. This is far and above one of my best cookbook purchases, even though I ingore half the recipies or modify the beans out of them.

Crockpot cooking is a great idea. I'd forgotten how flexible you can be with one. I picked up a small one the other day at Goodwill to keep in the camping trailer and decided that night I'd best test it first. Chopped up a whole bunch of stuff and threw it in with no regards to layering this, layering that. It was delicious and the crockpot was brand new! I actually found that cooking in the smaller one was easier than cooking in my larger one.

Pork roast is on sale at the butcher shop. Nothing is as tender as pork done in a crockpot!

BeckaSki is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Pork roast is on sale at the butcher shop. Nothing is as tender as pork done in a crockpot!
    This is my favorite pork crock pot meal. With some avocado or guac, and a little dab of sour cream.

So while I was at the butcher shop I also picked up some pork neck bones to make bone broth. Should I roast them first? I think the smell would have me salivating!!

Primal Papa is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for stopping by my journal and offering support and a new thing for breakfast.... the hamburger / egg / salad thing..... I think that will be on Friday's menu! Now I will start reading your journal....

Thanks again, Chuck
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013
    Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
    Other Goal - to get off some medications
    Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
    NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

Page 61 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast