Page 60 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a difference page 60

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Shop Now
    Gorgeous dogs! Happy thoughts for your husband.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, everybody!

Today's exercise will be digging up the septic tank. Not a good thing when you plunge the toilet and it backs up into the tub and shower!!
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

You gotta love being fat adapted. This morning I had three eggs with some coconut oil, shoveled most of the day (damn septic tank!). Here it is 5pm and, not only did I have plenty of energy today, I am not in the slightest bit hungry!!

Okay, all this septic tank digging can stop any time. Fortunately the problem is not a busted pipe but roots working their way in on a aging tank. Not the tank itself but where the pipe goes into the tank inlet. I am not chopping down the trees so we'll have to figure out what it will take to fix this. In the meantime, I am left with big piles of dirt and big holes in the ground. Thankfully there is no rain in the forecast for the next week or so. Not looking forward to shoveling all of that dirt back in. Did I mention that I want to be a girl??

BeckaSki is offline Senior Member
    It must be bad if you're thankful for no rain!

Septic tanks are no fun when they go awry! A friend in Idaho had to completely replace the one at their cabin, which involved some rock excavation. The cabin is off the grid with no road access (boat across Lake Pend Orielle), so the tools are very limited. So at least be glad you just have to dig up dirt!

Can you pull/chop/remove the roots from the area around the tank, and then put in some kind of root-impermeable liner (geotextile fabric or plastic?) around the tank and inlet?

I think we'll end up replacing the old inlet with an ABS one as well putting an impervious liner. The roots did not cause the damage but they did take advantage of it by seeking the path of least resistance. I won't be cutting those giant old trees down, I'll tell you. Well, crap, if you'll excuse the pun.

Sometimes people miss the whole point of changing what you eat.

I am very glad my sister has lost forty pounds. She still has a fair amount to go and I have talked Primal with her in the past. She is the sort of person who will jump on whatever bandwagon comes along. Fine, but you would lose a lot more than forty pounds if you stopped dumping so much sugar in each cup of coffee. If you have to sweeten it that much to drink it than you really do not like coffee and should drink tea instead. "Oh, so you stopped eating grains. Whole grains are still okay though because they are good for you, right?" FINE. It is working for DH and I and that is all we are going to concern ourselves with.

HeuristicFireFlower is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    The thing that I think is absolute nonsense is the thinking that menopausal women are going to get fat and there is nothing that they can do about it. BULL!!! Accept it or fight it every step of the way? Hmmm...let me think....no brainer! If I don't feel old on the inside why should I accept being old on the outside?? PMA is such a strong influence on life, I think. My nephew is 32, former Marine, and keeps telling me that I will never be old because no one else's aunts climb trees. I really want to take him up hiking in the high country but he is afraid he won't be able to keep up. Dang! If I feel this good already, how am I going to feel now that I no longer eat grains?
    Probably doesn't hurt that I am a country girl and am stubborn like my Mom.
    Absolutely agree! Thanks for posting your experiences, they are quite inspiring as I start my journey.
    Will definitely be watching your journal! :]

Heidi the foster dog has a family with three kids very interested in her. They live on the Oregon Coast. While I should be very happy for her, and I am, I cannot help but be sad because she is such a personality! She could have a very wonderful life with this family and it sounds like she would be doted on. Cross your fingers for her!

As far as any progress on my body composition I do have to say that while I thought not much was happening, my fat pads on my hips are the only thing that is not visibly reducing so there are changes going on, just subtle ones. Abdominal fat has decreased, pants are looser in the legs. When Heidi gets her forever home the RPR's resume in earnest which will restore my soul and hopefully tone things up. I know, wish in one hand.........I need to stop worrying about it and just live my life.

It turns out that the man who wants to adopt Heidi is the curator of marine mammals at the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport!!! What a cool job. Oh, he also hikes the Olympic Mountains which are in my neck of the woods. FUN! Heidi loves being outdoors so it could be a great fit.

We are taking the day off from septic tank stuff tomorrow and jumping back into it fresh on Monday (not the tank, silly). Right now we are finally at the sealing of gaps stage. Monday starts the putting risers on the cleanouts so I never have to dig again followed by shoveling all the dirt back into where we just dug it out of. I think my mental mantra will be something along the lines of Building Muscle, Burning Fat. Repeat with every shovelful.

Page 60 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast