Page 56 of 100 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a difference page 56

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I spent the last couple of days at a dog show with the friend that started Primal in June. This is the friend that I thought wouldn't stick with it. I am pleased to report that she is embracing it and while not 100% yet, she does not intend to go backwards. We ate great. Grassfed ribeye, green salad with bacon and hardboiled eggs, the avocado/coconut milk dressing.......yum! I gave her all kinds of new ideas on how to cook things that she could grab and go to work with instead of not being prepared and eating Jelly Bellies with the attendant sugar crash. The good thing is she knew why she felt horrible doing that.

I took the unneutered foster dog to the show with me to hand him off to someone else. The female is staying with us and what a lover she is turning out to be!
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    My brother-in-law breeds huskies (the slow and responsible way), so that is where I get to see a pack of cared-for dogs in action, but even though I have lots of cats (6), I think you a saint for dealing with that many dogs!

We now have foster dog number two. This one is a real gem and, interestingly enough, provides a really clear picture of how what you eat translates onto your body.
    She and her brother were kept in a small, dark shed. Not much room to move around and were fed whatever. We found ripped up cereal boxes in there, bread wrappers, some kind of gruel...........she was pudgy and flabby in spite of only being 11 months old. When I took her to the vet the other day, they made the observation that she doesn't have the muscle mass that my other dogs have. That puzzled me because in the week we have had her, she has been running nonstop. Oh, wait. She wasn't getting what she needed to even build good muscles! This past week she has been eating the good stuff. No longer is she as pudgy and flabby as she was but it will take a bit more time for the past nutrition issues to turn around. This graphically illustrated for me what a grain based diet looks like on a body versus a protein/fat diet. Well, duh.

Funny story time!

Yesterday we were shopping at Home Depot. As we came in there was a 20-something couple in line checking out. According to my husband, the wife looked and me, whipped her head around to see if her husband noticed and gave him the stink eye as he checked me out! Heck, I am on my way to 60!!

Paleobird Guest
    Since I've switched my dog to grain free kibble I've noticed that he spontaneously limits his own portions. (Just like people going Primal.) He doesn't eat near as much as with the grain based stuff. And he waits for "human food" first like cooking scraps and bones after our meal, then, if he is still hungry, has a few bites of dog food.
    People complain about the grain free kibble being more expensive but I think it evens out because of the lower consumption.

And his coat has gotten nice and shiny too.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    People complain about the grain free kibble being more expensive but I think it evens out because of the lower consumption.
    Not only lower consumption, but when, like human food, the quality is high the benefits are tremendous. Yes, grainfree dog food is more expensive than the stuff with fillers but if you are feeding half as much then the overall cost is the same!
    Pay twice as much, feed half as much. Do the math.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Not only lower consumption, but when, like human food, the quality is high the benefits are tremendous. Yes, grainfree dog food is more expensive than the stuff with fillers but if you are feeding half as much then the overall cost is the same!
    Pay twice as much, feed half as much. Do the math.
    Not only that, having a happy healthy Wolf Cub is priceless.

Not only that, having a happy healthy Wolf Cub is priceless.
    TOTALLY agree!

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    When we switched our dachshunds to a raw diet, the underweight one gained weight, the plump one slimmed down, and both their coats improved. Our vet has also commented that they have the cleanest teeth she has seen on dogs their age. They won't even touch things they now consider 'non-food', which includes dog biscuits! (Sorry, nice lady at the bank drive-thru window!)

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Since I've switched my dog to grain free kibble I've noticed that he spontaneously limits his own portions. (Just like people going Primal.) He doesn't eat near as much as with the grain based stuff. And he waits for "human food" first like cooking scraps and bones after our meal, then, if he is still hungry, has a few bites of dog food.

And his coat has gotten nice and shiny too.
    My cat is on grain-free kibble, her coat is nice and shiny now (had a lot of visible dander before, big flakes), sometimes she won't eat much and I worry because she follows me around the kitchen meowing, as though she's hungry, but there's food in the bowl. Sometimes if I give her a fresh bowl, she'll eat a little. If I put down some fat (olive oil on the food, baking sheet with some bacon grease on it), she'll eat a bit of that too (she's starting to get a taste for raw stuff, what have I gotten myself into?!). It didn't occur to me that she might be managing her own intake, so maybe that's what's going on! She's been tubby for quite a while, so it might take some time for her to stop begging.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 56 of 100 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast