Page 54 of 100 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a difference page 54

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Still early days, but it appears that INCREASING calories has the weight moving downwards. I always thought maybe I wasn't getting enough calories for my activity level.

Speaking of calories, I've decided that the calorie calculators (deciding how many you need) are not accurate. There is no way they can be. Take my activity level. What I consider to be an average day could be a major moving day for a beginner. My high intensity day could be a casual one for someone in hard training. So how can an online calorie counter decide what you need? "Activity level high, moderate or low?" "Age, height, weight?" Way too many variables to be an accurate indicator!!

Yesterday's RPR wore the pups out. I'm doing fine but the logs I could step over they had to use major muscle groups to jump over, especially when they were coming from below it. Been ggiving lots of puppy butt rubs this morning!

I was still awake at 2am so I got on the scale for the heck of it. 184.1. We'll see if it lasts.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

This was a lucky shot. On the way down from Mt. Townsend October 29th, 2011. The entire hike up was socked in. It cleared as we reached the summit and fog started drifting back in as we headed back down. See why I love it??

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Beautiful.

I have a friend from high school visiting and I got the joy of introducing her to RPR's. The dogs were so worn out when we got back that they have slept most of the last 24 hours.

I made a great salad dressing last night using coconut milk, avocado, garlic and basil. So simple and tasty!

Having fun on the RPR's.
    Not only does it do good things for me, they don't look like they mind it a bit!

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    I made a great salad dressing last night using coconut milk, avocado, garlic and basil. So simple and tasty!
    Recipe, please!

The Mt. Townsend shot - OMG gorgeous! If I show that to First, she will run away from home tomorrow...

Beautiful dog! I was noticing the teeth - really, really clean! Do you feed raw?

Oh! ...where are my manners - hello!

Really no recipe for the salad dressing. Start by mashing an avocado. Add coconut milk (canned) to desired consistency. Garlic, basil, blend together. If you start with the base of avocado and coconut milk the flavor can be varied by what herbs and spices you add. Make it thicker for a veggie dip, thinner for a dressing. Add some lemon juice if you want to keep it from browning. I think I'll add a pinch of salt and pepper next time to really bring out the flavor.

Moose has allergies that we are still trying to figure out so no raw for him just yet but he is eating a grainfree food. Eggs give him big boils between his pads, poor boy. He is just a year old so his choppers are still sparkling. Once we get his allergies nailed, I'd like to be able to feed raw.

I've got more pictures from that hike...........

The last picture is the tops of the mountain range.

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Oh my goodness!!! These photos are gorgeous.

I just spent the afternoon reading your journal, and can I say that I'm so very jealous. I love living in the city, but part of me just loves it when you can get out in nature the way that you do. And the hiking, and the gorgeous landscapes. Wow, the mountains!

I hear you with the struggle with weight loss. I'm 5' 10" and 216.5 now. I only found MDA back in March, but last November my doctor found that I'm highly insulin resistant (among other things). And I started eating a primal type diet. The first 30 came off really quickly, but since then (when I started cheating) I've just gone up and down, up and down, while figuring out what works.

For me, I've realized I can't cheat at all. It sets me back with an immediate weight gain, and then I plateau for a week or so, then I lose, then i cheat, and then the cycle starts over again. A week ago I started eating uber cleanly again, and the weight is coming off again. For me because of the insulin issue, I eat only a little bit of fruit, and recently I've been cutting back the yogurt or cheese that I eat. (I heard that dairy spikes insulin levels.) So far so good. We'll see how the next week goes. Anyway, as I was reading your journal, I kept wondering if maybe you have insulin resistance as well and that's why the weight isn't coming off? Maybe not though, I don't know, thought I'd mention it just in case. Because if you are, then it really makes a difference at the amount of carbs sugars you're eating, as well as the types of carbs.

I like that you're trying to eat more and are already seeing results from that. That's very good news!

Very interesting, lissee, I hadn't thought of that! It is worth experimenting, for sure.

Today was a hike day with my good buddy. We explored an area of the Olympics that is fairly close to my home that neither one of us had gone to before. Oh, what fun we had! I love logging roads because you can get up to the high country without being part of the maddening crowds. Today's hike found us following a closed spur road over washouts. A bit hairy when we got to a scree area (loose rock) that slid as we walked across it. This, of course, was on the very edge of a deep ravine. Scary! One at a time we crossed, I held my breath when the dog went across as she wouldn't be paying attention to where she placed her feet. Success! We continued on to where the trail entered the woods and enjoyed a very cool, comfortable stroll in tall timber. After we got back to the car we decided to continue following the logging road which looped around back to where it started. What the map does not show is how high we climbed (great views!), how steep and rocky it was, and what a white knuckle ride it was. Okay, we still had a ton of fun even if I did have it in lowest gear in fourwheel drive. The views were worth it!
    The sad part was seeing the changes in my hiking buddy lately. He is 12 1/2 years younger than me and I was walking circles around him. Poor guy was worn out and hurting after just a couple of miles and we used to routinely do 15 to 18 miles each time.
    I did take a pick-me-up for the hike of coconut milk, blueberries, cinnamon and coconut water. Blended and shaken it was very drinkable and was nice to have when I needed a fat source. Next time I won't chug it all at once though but sip it throughout the duration of the hike. It was tasty and gave me good energy.
    Last edited by honeybuns; 07-29-2012 at 05:47 PM.

Page 54 of 100 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast