Page 38 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a difference page 38

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Primal Fuel
    I had to search for "red doberman", they're beautiful! Good luck with the adoption
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Red dobies are gorgeous! can't they make an exception for experienced owners?
    Sounds like your guy is hangin' in there! =)
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    You would think that they would make an exception to get the dog a quality home, wouldn't you? Add the fact that we are willing to drive that kind of distance should confirm that we are not fly-by-night flakes. I just have a feeling that they are not going to try very hard to check us out. What is in our favor is that this is a very large dobie (115 pounds at 14 months) and most people shy away from that size.
    Deuce is hanging in there but I know it is a matter of time. If only I hadn't seen the echocardiogram I could continue to fool myself. He has been eating very well the last couple of days which is a major change from how he has been plus he wanted to play "chase me" yesterday. I hope this isn't the beginning of the end.

DH goes in for a blood draw today so we'll be able to compare what he found out a few months ago. I'm still hoping that his doc is smart enough to look at reducing the meds he has taken since his heart attack a few years ago.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Oh! Oh! The Nevada Doberman Rescue called my vet, my references and DH while I was running errands yesterday. This might actually happen. Now we just need to pass the home visit (no worries there) and plan a road trip! I wonder if DH will ever forgive me.........
    My weight has held steady, although a little higher than it was, with no exercise for two plus months and horrible, horrible sleep for most of that time. This is a good thing because it debunks CW thinking that high fat makes you fat. I am cooking in butter, eating bacon, consuming heavy cream all with no weight gain.
    The bonus yesterday came when I was making the shopping list and DH asked if I had remembered the kale, parsnips and cabbage. This is a guy who is very resistant to change and previously wouldn't have touched any vegetable that wasn't corn. We've made progress!!

Wow, that is a massive dog. I can just imagine how delighted he will be on his first RPR, he'll just be beside himself to be running free through the beautiful woods. I just looked at the NDR page, is it Murphy you're looking at? He's gorgeous, he has such a mellow look in his eyes

It is Murphy, alright! Don't you think he'd be a great companion? One of our previous dogs was 150 lean, trim pounds so I am very used to a big dog.
    DH is making noises about being uncomfortable with the whole thing. Once we got past the length of the trip, how we need more info about the dog, yada, yada, yada it boils down to him not wanting heartache of falling in love with another dog and losing him at some point. Men.
    After we lost Dante (the 150#) we swore we wouldn't have another dog because the heartache was too great. After five dogless weeks, we couldn't stand it anymore and got Deuce followed by Tabi six months later. Now that Deuce is at the end stage of all of this it is more important to me that Tabi has a companion.

NorCalGirlDiver is offline Senior Member
    We were at the beach last week and there was a red dobie - looked to be a puppy. He came charging down at us and scared my dog - she is a psycho bitch when there is a ball around anyway. The dobie was adorable. If I hadn't had the chuck-it and ball, Abby probably would have played with him. He was really rambunctious.

it boils down to him not wanting heartache of falling in love with another dog and losing him at some point. Men.
    It's understandable, at the same time, knowing you're going to lose you friend makes you stop and love them every day. I only had my old lady kitty for 3 years, but I knew we didn't have much time together so I consciously loved and enjoyed her a LOT. I guess it extrapolated to the rest of my life and I try to be conscious that this is a really great time right now and my parents are still healthy and active... Darn parents, you know you pretty much have a cat for 15-20 years, but parents... could hang around 20 more years or be gone tomorrow!

I know that, barring accidents, my mother will be around AT LEAST 20 more years. Her mother is still here at 96, she is doing great at 76. If I do the math, that means I have at least 40 more years on this planet so I guess I have to make them count!

I know stress, lack of activity and sleeplessness are contributing factors but I REALLY dislike all of the subcutaneous fat that I have these days. I was much thinner at this weight when it was muscle than I am at this weight with flab. UGH.
    Last edited by honeybuns; 03-31-2012 at 06:21 AM.

Oh, the turns that life can take! We drove a couple of hours yesterday to pull a fawn doberman from a shelter and transport him to the Seattle Purebred Dog Rescue. He is getting along so well with our existing dogs that I think we'll be adopting him instead of Murphy from Vegas. Supposedly he was a medium size 2 year old but in reality he is a very large one year old with all of the puppy exuberance that goes along with it.

A great big welcome to Moose!

Page 38 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast