Page 26 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a difference page 26

NorCalGirlDiver is offline Senior Member
    Medical costs are out of control! I hope it all goes smoothly with your insurance.

Do you find coconut sugar sweeter than cane juice? What about maple syrup? I made the pumpkin ice cream from Make it Paleo and it uses maple syrup. The ice cream is not as sweet as one would expect given the amount of syrup-I am wondering if I could gain more sweetness with fewer grams of sugar? Going to make the coffee ice cream next...

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    I think our palates have gotten used to the overly sweet taste of refined sugar. Coconut sugar is not as sweet as the refined sugar and maple syrup has a subtle sweetness. Even evaporated cane juice isn't as sweet as refined sugar. Perhaps in time what is a subtle sweetness to you now will be just right.

My DH has had a major sweet tooth forever and he said that eating primal has really cut down on his "need" for sweetness. The cookies I made yesterday were not near as sweet as what I used to make and I thought he would make comment but he didn't as he was too busy eating fresh baked cookies!

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Pumpkin and maple ice cream? *sticks fingers in ears* I can't hear you! Weight loss, weight loss! That recipe just couldn't be fair.

I had what my family refers to as a "sweet jaw" instead of a sweet tooth- but Primal really is changing it- when I'm on target. I had a baked sweet potato at a resturant over the weekend and the topping options were butter or brown sugar. Sugar- on a sweet potato? Why?! (it should be saved for the squashes )

Some of the squashes are really sweet by themselves. My DH is now having real maple syrup with his butter on the squash. Brown sugar is a thing of the past in our house now.

I never put sugar on squash or sweet potatoes - I find a bit of salt brings out the sweetness so adding sugar is really unnecessary. For Thanksgiving I use a glaze made of maple syrup, butter and thyme to glaze my sweet potatoes.

I bought some coconut sugar. I used some in the cranberry sauce that I made and in the pumpkin pie. I used less than the sugar or maple syrup the recipes called for and they were perfect! Thanks for the info on the coconut sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    Pumpkin and maple ice cream? *sticks fingers in ears* I can't hear you! Weight loss, weight loss! That recipe just couldn't be fair.
    Make it Paleo recipe - I was looking to actually cut the sugar grams in order to make it even healthier. I mean the rest of the recipe is eggs, pumpkin and coconut milk - how bad is that?

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalGirlDiver View Post
    Make it Paleo recipe - I was looking to actually cut the sugar grams in order to make it even healthier. I mean the rest of the recipe is eggs, pumpkin and coconut milk - how bad is that?
    Oh. Ooooh. I'm going to have to look this up . . . I need to eat more veggies. No reason not to do so in icecream

And maple syrup is just good. My parents have been making it the last few years. It gives them an idiot-proof gift any time they go somewhere. I mean, who turns down real maple syrup? And it gave Dad an excuse to figure out how to make a wicked hot stove for cooking it down.

Oh, good! I'm glad the coconut sugar worked for you. It is going to be a staple in my pantry now.

I am really enjoying alternative ingredients. I've used arrowroot flour twice now for thickening stews and it is incredible! I'll be using it from here on out. Next up is using tapioca flour for thickener in fruit pies. I am very lucky that the natural foods place near me has an incredible bulk selection and I can get just a little bit to see if I like something. If I had to buy a big thing of something new I probably wouldn't even try it.

Even though I am feeling much more like myself, every time I try to do something that I've always done my abdomen swells up again. Crap. This is getting old. I LIKE raking leaves!!!

I have been using potato starch to thicken soups and sauces. It has very little flavor and I use about half as much as the flour I am replacing. Is there anything negative about potato starch? I originally bought it for a gluten free bread recipe so I have a good size container of it.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The only negative I can think of is that it is a starch and a carb. As long as you don't go overboard with it, I think you'll be fine.

One thing I like about the arrowroot flour is that I can stir it right in without lumps. Never could do that with all-purpose flour. Hey!! I might actually be able to manage a lump-free gravy finally!

Page 26 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast