Page 25 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a difference page 25

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I think I finally hit on the right topping combination for the apple crisp. Almond flour, hazelnut meal, coconut sugar, butter. YUM!

Down to 180.5 this morning as my body starts ridding itself of the fluid buildup of the last week. I went into surgery weighing 184.1. It'll be interesting to see where it all settles out.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Mmmmmmmmmm, you'll have to post your apple crisp recipe. I have a new pie plate i need to break in!
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    ^^ I second that! I've considered nut flours, but this might make it worth it!

You mean I'm going to have to measure?!!

It was a ratio of two thirds almond flour to one third hazelnut meal. I cut it into a cube of butter and used just over half a cup coconut sugar.. I'll make it again soon and pay more attention. My apple crisp is really very simple. Use a sweeter apple like Gala, Braeburn, Fuji. Peel, core and cut crosswise into the pan, sprinkling layers with a little cinnamon. Add the crumbly topping and bake for an hour. Serve with heavy whipping cream. I'll see if I can't nail it down next time I make it. It is one of our favorite desserts.

It is so hard for me to slow down. I'm not, if the truth be known. Well, yes I am, but I am not laying around in bed all day. Today I rake up a cartload of leaves, did a load in the dishwasher, did a load of laundry, cut and froze pork chops and stew meat and am about to make one of my favorite meals. Creamy Eggplant and Tomato Pie. Peppers, onions, eggplant, tomatoes, parmesan and cream cheese with a crunchy topping all baked together in a single crust. I'll bet this would be great with a sausage added to it. Chorizo? I'll have to try it!

NorCalGirlDiver is offline Senior Member
    Hi Honeybuns,

Do you find coconut sugar worth the price? I keep eyeing it but cannot decide.

Yes, I do. I first bought it "just to try" and have found that it goes a very long way. I like the flavor a lot. Sometimes I'll use it in conjunction with evaporated cane juice (I know, more sugar) to stretch it. Get one, try it. You don't have to buy another one if you don't want. I got mine at the natural foods store for 4.95 and it is a goodly amount. I find the grocery stores are way higher on the good stuff than the natural foods stores are.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Mmmmm thanks so much! I think I'll try it this weekend!
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Don't be afraid to tweak it for personal preference. I have found it helpful to make the topping first and put it in the fridge while I prepare the apples. It firms the butter back up a bit and makes it easier to crumble on top.

350 degrees. Poke the apples with a fork to make sure they are cooked enough as every oven differs a bit.

I just made a very tasty cookie using almond flour, hazelnut meal, cocoa powder and coconut flour. I was doing this off the top of my head so the coconut flour was added to dry up the too moist batter. The coconut sugar kept them from being overly sweet. So pretty to look at and oh so yummy! I wouldn't hesitate at all to give these as a gift.
    Once again I'll need to tweak the recipe a bit but my Cookie Monster of a hubby loves them!

Okay, I am way tired of having a swollen mid-section. I want to be healed RIGHT NOW, darn it!! I know it is swelling in response to what I am doing but it can stop any time now. The scale is doing its up-down thing again as well. Grrr....I got the hospital bill today and all I can say is thank goodness for insurance! $48,000 dollars later........can you imagine what a major injury or illness and a prolonged stay would have run?!!

Page 25 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast