Page 21 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a difference page 21

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    According to my mother- when you think about marrying a man, the first question is do you like him? Then do you love him- but liking is more important. (now to find one that I'd consider marrying- ha!)

I love that you're all about cold weather and rain! Alright, I'm not so much about rain- but I'm used to getting really strange looks from people when I have no problem being outside in the cold. In fact- I prefer it! (I run warm for a girl) I'm really excited about moving to a place where layers are actually understood rather than being a fashion statement. Hope you and your sister have a blast!

katemary is offline Senior Member
    hmmm...good advice re husband-ing! You are blessed, happy anniversary. Enjoy the hiking, stay safe!

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    I am so glad that my sister and I went on this hike together. It was a wonderful bonding day, she got to see firsthand why I love it so much and it was the best way to spend my birthday.

After a high protein breakfast we drove the hour and a half to the trail head. Because the forecasted high for where we were going was in the thirties I made her wear base layers both top and bottom, a wool sweater, bring hat, gloves and a good winter coat. She thought I was being overkill. I questioned it as well on the first mile or so as we were climbing through old growth forest which offered us a bit of temperature protection. It was a gorgeous hike and we climbed on what we thought were big boulders and took pictures of each other. At this point the fog was still not disappating but we were hopeful that it would burn off when we reached the giant boulders that overlooked Seattle and Puget Sound. At the point where the trail branched on the way to the summit we abandoned the beaten path and followed a seasonal streambed through alpine landscape until we came to the boulders. Needle ice, the kind you get in extreme cold, was everywhere! I since found out that the previous night had gotten into the teens!
    Scrambling to a secure location on that boulder, we dropped the packs and broke out some sustenance waiting for the fog to lift. Had a great visit as the fog got thicker, and thicker and the temps got colder, and colder..........out came the gloves, the hat, the winter coats. I think she realized then how important it was to have those things with us. Heading back the way we came we both felt like kids again hopping from rock to rock in the streambed. As we headed back down the trail to the car we could see the fog dropping down over the ridge above following us all the way down. It was sunny in the lowlands but we never saw it! So many cool things to see and I am so glad we enjoyed ourselves so thoroughly.

She has dropped 50 pounds following CW but asked DH about the way he came into this WOE and what he noticed it did for him. I had her read Unconquerable Dave's success story as well as a couple of others and I think she is going to start looking into it. At the very least she'll borrow Primal Blueprint from Mom and give it a read. Small steps!
    Last edited by honeybuns; 10-27-2011 at 09:16 AM.

Just got back from the first real RPR in a long time. FANTASTIC!! Cold, foggy, breezy. Just the way I like it! Did a lot of offroading exploring mushroom patches and sideroads. I think we were gone close to three hours. Got home and both dogs just dropped. They love it and would hate to be left behind.

Just finished a strawberry banana smoothie made with coconut milk and half and half. Hope I'll have room for dinner!

Saturday I am going to hike Mt. Townsend again. No snow at the 6200' level right now but all of that is supposed to change next week. I wonder how different it will be from when I hiked it in August? November 2nd I am yet another hike in the Olympics. I have no idea how long I'll be laid up after surgery so I am fitting in as many as I can!

Not to mention- the fitter you are going into surgery, the shorter the recover is supposed to be! Good luck with the surgery and, more importantly, the recovery.

Yay on getting your sister to think about joining us! Sometimes family can be the hardest. They know you too well to always take you seriously.

I'm glad you got in an RPR- those sound like so much fun. Maybe you can wear the pups out to the point that they'll be ready for the break when you're off for healing

Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    I'm glad you got in an RPR- those sound like so much fun. Maybe you can wear the pups out to the point that they'll be ready for the break when you're off for healing
    For sure!! I'm thinking every day for the next week and a half where they would welcome a chance to sleep in when DH is at the hospital with me. Or I would welcome being put into oblivion. LOL!!

Okay, you want primal? A rundown of my day.

After a very tasty breakfast of high protein I headed out to get the front lawn mowed before the storm hit. using the push mower I actually got it donE as the first raindrops fell. Headed into my sanctuary (10' x 20' greenhouse), turned on the heater and peeled and cored apples for sauce. When i finished with that the storm was here in earnest and I had some things I really wanted to get done today so..........I put on a coat and hat (no rainpants) and headed outside. After fixing a leaky gutter, picking up a ton of wet leaves and filling in low spots with the fir needles off the road I was pretty well drenched. Hot shower never felt so good!
    I really feel much better going for a hike knowing that I did some major accomplishing the day before. Sort of like the hike is my reward for getting things done. While I am hiking tomorrow my kitchen cabinets will be getting installed. I cannot wait to get home and see the difference! I wish I were done painting but, nope, that is still to be finished. Since I am having surgery on the 8th I have a whole lot of things to finish between now and then!

Just over a week until surgery and I realized that I have seven fifteen foot tall trees to plant before then. Lots of little stuff i can do post surgery but these guys have to go in this week. While my kitchen cabinets are starting to be installed I am not sure my living room will be back in place and I am going to need my couch for a while!

Yesterday's hike was incredible. From leaving the trailhead at 3200' almost all the way to the summit at 6200' we were socked in the clouds. When we approached the summit the clouds lifted and we had the most incredible views of the interior mountains of the Olympics. I got some great shots of mountains and fog. I'm going to do as much hiking as I can in the next two weeks because I am going to go crazy post-op when they won't let me do it for a while!!

Pity you're so far away. I'd love an excuse to plant trees- even if they aren't mine. Unfortunately, apartment living doesn't give me much space to do so. Good luck with all the chores!

Oh, I thnk if I intersperse the trees with the laundry with the cleaning with the cooking with the.............oh, guess I had best stop hanging around MDA for at least an hour or it will never get done!!

Page 21 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast