Page 17 of 100 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a difference page 17

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    DH has an appointment with his cardiologist today, the first one since going primal. Down 26 pounds, not eating sugar or grains..............this HAS TO have made a difference! I am hoping that it will show a marked improvement in his numbers. I really don't want him thinking he can go back to the way he was eating.

NorCalGirlDiver is offline Senior Member
    How did it go at the cardiologist? Are his numbers down? My DH is on medicine for high triglycerides and high blood pressure.

Blood draw was this morning so we don't have the numbers yet, but the cardiologist was very pleased with the weight he lost and told him that it was the best thing he could have done for his health. He also said that the numbers couldn't be anything but good with the way he is eating and the weight he has lost. Blood pressure was way down! As soon as we know something I'll post it here!

Is your DH eating primal yet? The physician's assistant wanted to know how he lost the weight so DH told him about eating primal and how easy it was to do. Got positive feedback from the PA!

Today's experiment is primalizing my apple crisp!

I have always made apple crisp by slicing the apples into the dish and topping them with a mixture of flour, butter, brown sugar, white sugar and cinnamon. YUMMY! Not exactly how we are eating now, though. This afternoon I scooted my butt down to the local natural foods store and picked up coconut sugar, evaporated cane juice granules and hazelnut meal. While I did the mixing by eye, I think it is going to work!

So, tonight's apple crisp is topped with butter, hazelnut meal, coconut sugar, evaporated cane juice crystals and cinnamon. I'll let you know how it turns out. I plan on serving it with heavy cream poured over it!

Next time I'll measure.

Wow - the apple crisp sounds YUMMY!. My hubby is eating primal when I cook for him - meaning mostly dinner. He chooses to eat bread with his eggs in the morning and usually makes himself a sandwich for lunch although sometimes he has leftovers. The other night I had pumpkin soup with spicy sausage and he decided to have pasta with the boys. He has switched out the sugar in his coffee with agave syrup (not sure that is much better). So.... not really.

I thought he would start after seeing improvements in me (and he has noticed!) but he is not ready. He just wants to complain about his belly.

Flavor wise, the apple crisp was a win, but I'll try it with almond flour next as the hazelnut meal was a little too coarse. With the heavy cream it was downright decadent!
    Unfortunately, your DH has to want to do this for himself. I never tell mine what he can or cannot eat, should or shouldn't be doing. He is just stubborn enough that he would do just the opposite. Has your spouse read yesterday's Success Story?
    A big belly and high triglycerides go hand in hand. Beer consumption and high triglycerides go hand in hand. I feel your frustration when it comes to wanting him to join you on this journey.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Mmmm, I cooked apples with a little cinnamon and vanilla bean and they were sweet enough just like that! We ate them with almond biscuits and whipped cream.
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Care to share the recipe for almond biscuits? I have been looking to find something I can use with strawberry shortcake!

When I was growing up Mom would make fried apples which were just apples sauteed in butter. I'll bet that would be tasty with the cinnamon and vanilla bean.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    here are Otter's Famous Almond Biscuits*

*ok, not so famous
    I don't even worry about keeping things cold and mixing lightly anymore. Almond flour doesn't have gluten to over-develop so I just mix away, dump it on some parchment paper and "Bob's yer uncle!". Leave out all salt if you're going to use them for sweet purposes
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow - you ladies are awesome! Thanks ottercat and honeybuns!

It's funny because my hubby is so supportive and knows what needs to be done. Just not willing to make the step. I know I can't change him...he has to want it.

Page 17 of 100 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast