Page 16 of 100 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a difference page 16

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thank you, both of you! I really needed to hear that this morning!

I really should have gotten my pack ready last night and laid out the clothes I am going to wear today. My hiking buddy will be here in an hour and I am not prepared! Maybe if I got off the computer???

Full disclosure upon my return. Seems like every time he and I decide to go for a long hike it rains on us. Today is no exception but if we successfully hiked seventeen miles on a day when 6" of rain fell, then a mere 1" will be a cakewalk! Hopefully the clouds will be high enough that we actually get a glimpse of the surrounding peaks.

NorCalGirlDiver is offline Senior Member
    Hope your hike was wonderful. I am just going to walk around my town (urban hike?) and hit all the hills - if I am feeling the energy I might even try sprinting up the hills!

Time for full disclosure!

On the way to the trailhead we drove the Forest Service roads rather than the main highway. Three large herds of elk and two deer later (rather commonplace around here) we ended up following a black bear that was running down the middle of the road. I'll bet he was only about thirty feet away. Such an unusual occurence that we forgot to grab cameras! Bears are a good luck omen, rightfully so as it turned out. The weather forecast called for rain and considering we were going to be hiking in a rain forest, rain jacket and pants were stuffed in our packs. The trail meandered through old growth forests (land of the giants!), through a beaver pond, and upwards following the canyons. This was a trip for seeing things we'd never seen before like frogs that are smaller than my little fingernail and slugs that are pure white. The first six or so got their pictures taken, the next dozen, not so much.

After a few miles of relatively tame trails (compared to what we are used to) the trail ended at a waterfall and rocky chasm that we had to make our way down and across to pick up the trail on the other side which then crossed over a river that has carved a channel in the rock. Fortunately there was a really cool bridge. You could tell that with the winter rains it would be absolutely boiling and we could see the debris from past floods. Big trees lay like jackstraws along the banks.

Continuing up the hill the majesty of the place just became more awe inspiring with every step we took, but it soon became clear that we would be well off watching where we placed our feet rather than rubbernecking. The trail crossed roots, followed up drystream beds and over rocks as we headed ever upwards. I was never more glad to have the energy that eating a high protein breakfast gave me. A few miles further on it was with deep regret that we realized that we had to turn around and head back down the trail if we were to make it back to the car before dark. More so, we didn't want to try to negogiate the beaver pond by flashlight! We were able to see (barely) all the way back to the car. It gets dark a lot quicker under a dense tree canopy and with the rocks and roots on the trail, I sure didn't want to twist my ankle!

All told I believe I hiked twelve miles, but it sure was a different twelve miles than a logging road hike! Thank goodness for eating primally. Pre-primal I would have had to stop and rest more often and been totally exhausted afterwards. I felt great when I got home and feel just fine today.

Oh, because of our good luck omen the bear, it never rained on us! Sprinkles started as we got into the car for the return home.
    Last edited by honeybuns; 10-09-2011 at 12:09 PM.

NorCalGirlDiver is offline Senior Member

Any time.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Sounds lovely!
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

I read on allrecipes of a sirloin tip roast rubbed with an olive oil/herb rub. Well, I had a sirloin tip roast and the herbs but I cannot find my olive oil. Since I have discovered that I don't really like the flavor of ghee by itself, I mixed my herb blend with the ghee and rubbed it all over the roast before I baked it. Oh, yum! It worked!!! I think next time I'll do it in the crockpot for a more tender roast.

Made a smoothie with whole milk, coconut milk and nectarines today. It turned out great and I can definitely add something like flax seed easily enough. I have to get DH hooked on them first before I start monkeying around with them too much.

Today was a kickback day, sort of. The cabinets and countertops get installed next week sometime. YAY!! Back into the painting tomorrow but you can bet I'll sneak an RPR in there somewhere!

Up the ladder, down the ladder, up the ladder, down the ladder...........I'm sensing a theme here. Every brushstroke puts me one step closer to being done. I'll just keep telling myself that as I go up the ladder, down the ladder, up the................

BeckaSki is offline Senior Member
    honeybuns, I read your journal the other day and you set me off on a quest for soups. I found this Acorn Squash Soup and thought of you. My husband and I enjoyed it this evening with some leftover roast chicken.

Keep up the good work with your kitchen renovation. Just think of all of the awesome things you'll be able to cook when you're done. Also, I'm jealous of your hiking adventures over on the peninsula. Living north of Seattle the Olympics are so far away sometimes.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the recipe! For sure I'll be trying that one!!

I feel the same way about getting to the hikes in the Cascades. Just a little too far to travel sometimes. Hey, if you do get over here, check out the Mt. Townsend hike. The views are spectacular and so much better than Mt. Ellinor. Having done both, I'll take Mt. Townsend any time!

Page 16 of 100 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast