Page 10 of 100 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a difference page 10

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    never blame your body, always blame the clothes!
    I learned that from What Not to Wear =)
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Oh, if only I could have the WNTW team redo my wardrobe! I'm tall with really long legs, no waist (my ribs are almost on my hipbones), a small upper body on top of a large lower body. Wide, wide hips and all my weight goes on right there. Think of a triangle with the point downward sitting on top of a broad rectangle sitting on end and you are pretty close to what I look like.

JpGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Kids and business may be in the way now, but you'll get back to it. I was a backpacker from a very young age. I remember a weeklong backpacking trip in the Olympics that we did as a family. Mom, Dad and six kids under the age of ten. We all had packs and responsibilities. The love for hiking/backpacking never left even though I had an almost forty year break from it. Any way you can start introducing your kids to what you love to do?
    My kids are still tiny but we already go on small hikes around the lake and in the woods. Can't wait until they're big enough to drag up the big mountains!
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. - Ferris Bueller

JpGrok Journal

Good for you! Start them young and it will stick with them all their lives.

Tomorrow I hike with a new partner as mentioned in a previous post. I have my pack ready, stocked with extra clothes, gear and primal nourishment. I've ro-oiled my leather boots with, of all things, coconut oil. Love that stuff. It will be interesting to see what she expects from me as she doesn't have first hand knowledge of my capabilities. I cannot wait to put to rest any misconceptions about middle-aged ladies!

If i am still climbing trees, can I truly be considered middle-aged? Chronologically, maybe, but it is true that AGE IS JUST A NUMBER!!

I forgot to mention that my kitchen is completely torn apart. No appliances, no walls, holes in the ceiling, no water.....tomorrow I am escaping the insanity before the sheetrock work starts.

The good news is that I now weigh less with all my clothes on than I used to weigh naked!

Twinwolf is offline Senior Member
    Great journal you have here. Sorry to hear about your health problems.. I live in PA and have a few mountains, but nothing like the pictures I just saw in the link you posted of the lady who you are going hiking with. They are beautiful mountains. Your writing about hiking has encouraged me to want to go hiking and even possibly overnight/weekend hiking. Thanks!

Quick note about the fluctuations in weight. Always weigh the same time of day, preferably right after waking and going to the bathroom. Try to only weigh once a week at most. This will help weed out most of the fluctuations. On top of this, realize that the side affects of your meds may be weight gain and also your body is inflamed fighting the illness. Because of that, you may see gains.. Look at it over the long term, I'm sure it will continue to average a loss over time. Great work so far!
    "If a man has common sense, he has all the sense there is."

My Journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30234.html

Starting weight prePB - 258 lbs on 5/6/11

244.2 lbs on 6/3/11 (28 days in!)

240 lbs on 7/1/11 (59 days in!)

234.2 on 7/15/11 (73 days in!)

228.2 on 8/12/11 (101 days in!)

224 on 8/28/11 (117 days in!)

220.6 on 9/14/11 (134 days in!)

Goal weight PB - 205 lbs

Just this morning I decided it was time to go for a weekly weigh-in. Wise minds think alike!

I love getting out in the woods, the mountains............it makes me happy.

Off to hike now. Update tomorrow!

WOW! What a day I had yesterday! Totally worth driving two hours to my friends house two hours to the trailhead and doing it all over again six hours later!
    Before I get to the trip report here is a scale update. Now, I know I sweated a ton yesterday but it was sure nice to see 186.4 on the scale this morning! That means I lost the sneaky five pounds that went on after my shot plus a couple more! YES!!

It was an interesting hike in that you aren't waiting to get to the top to get the views of surrounding mountains, that starts almost right away and the higher you go the better they get. More on that.

I started the day with two bratwurst and three eggs. Lots of protein for energy. My friend started with peanut butter toast. When we got to the trailhead (four hours after I had eaten and two hours for her) she was hungry again and I wasn't. Interestingly enough, this hike together showed her the difference that a high protein diet can make on performance and she asked all kinds of questions about the way I eat. I've pointed her in the direction of MDA and PB and I believe she'll be making changes. She is going to make one of my famous scrambles for breakfast this morning to see what difference it makes for her hunger and energy today. Trail food - I packed jerky, hard boiled eggs, cheese, dried fruit, nuts, tuna. She packed jerky and tortilla chips.
    As far as my performance on the trail with someone who is in peak physical condition, I held my own. Towards the top when it started steeper, my upper thigh muscles started cramping a bit and I had to stop more often, but the views made it worth it. Stacy was great about knowing that I needed to rest occcasionally. I told her I wasn't going to pull the age card but I was sure going to use the side effects of the medicine as an excuse!

We got lucky with the weather. Sunny and eighty degrees was forecast, which would have been awful. What we got was partial cloud cover, a very nice breeze and upper 60's. From the summit we ahd a 360 degree view of the entire Olympic Mountain range, Seattle, the straights of Juan de Fuca, the Cascade mountain range and alpine meadows just filled with wildflowers. So totally worth the trip up! We will be hiking together again.

Forgot to add that this morning my muscles are not sore and I am not fatigued. Prior to PB I would have been totally wiped out the day after.

Darn! There goes my excuse to lay on the couch all day!

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sounds great and what an achievement!

Page 10 of 100 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast