Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Discouraged...sad....feeling worn out page

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member

Discouraged...sad....feeling worn out

Primal Fuel
    I just got my mom to measure me after a week....up from 47.5 to 49.....I did just drink some water a 16.9 oz bottle. Is that enough to make it that much more? I figured I'd be down from 47.5. Of course I'm also not sure if she measured in the same spot last week...so maybe that's the issue...

Weighed and I'm 268.7 up from 266.8. I did eat a cookie and 1 half of a bun two days ago, but that wouldn't keep me bloated for days would it? Maybe it would... I wish I could more easily measure exactly whats in my body. How much fat %....how much muscle%....? I wish the scale I had was actually accurate on body fat% but its too erratic to be accurate.

I just took pictures that aren't yet approved for my before pics because I was so psyched up and was sure the weight was going to go down...but I'm not sure its working. Maybe its the stress of wanting it to work so bad....

Sigh sorry for being so annoying I feel like a whiny little baby....just so frustrated. I've been doing this for almost a month now and thought the weight would be moving more after cutting out all grains except for a few cheats here or there.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I know it does get frustrating. And yeah the bun and the cookie could have caused some inflammation. Plus there's just the human margin of error when we measure.

I noticed with myself, and I've read in a lot of posts, that many of the changes happen on the inside first. You know, the crap covering your vital organs.

There are a few scales that seem pretty accurate for bodyfat, but not all are, and you pretty much have to use them first thing in the morning only, right after you pee, or the results will be all over the map.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

gordo is offline Senior Member
    I know that you probably get a different opinion from reading these boards, but PB is not a weight-loss diet. Weight loss is a byproduct of getting healthy again. I would much prefer to be fat and healthy than skinny and sick. That said, are you going low enough carb to enter ketosis and stay there? It's not an optimal diet long-term, but many many people have lost lots of fat in a hurry eating that way.

Gordo

Most days I'm under 50 so i should be. Considering all I've been eating is meats and cheese and mayo and mustard. I know its better to eat veggies but I hate the taste and so I haven't been eating any recently.....I plan on adding them at some point...but haven't started yet.

The only day I haven't been under 50 recently was 78 when I ate the cookie and bun half.

I actually somewhat believe that I could be gaining muscle...or losing fat in other places besides my belly which would explain some things. The reason I'm so down is because I'm used to being negative...I've had low self esteem for awhile because I've been jobless for over a year now...not even sure how long. I'm also obese etc.... I know I shouldn't be this way but its hard to change habits.
    Last edited by Raiken3712; 07-10-2011 at 10:30 AM.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiken3712 View Post
    Weighed and I'm 268.7 up from 266.8. I did eat a cookie and 1 half of a bun two days ago, but that wouldn't keep me bloated for days would it?
    I don't know. But don't beat yourself up about it. It probably is best to avoid even small amounts of foods with grains in, especially wheat. Some people really do seem to react badly to them and it can have some strange effects. If you fancy a treat, a piece of fruit is much better.

Maybe it would... I wish I could more easily measure exactly whats in my body. How much fat %....how much muscle%....? I wish the scale I had was actually accurate on body fat% but its too erratic to be accurate.
    The only really accurate way is to weigh someone in the air and in water and calculate from that. There are methods with calipers, but those can be hit and miss. There are formulae you can use to get a very rough idea—such as the one given here:

Diet Calculator, Body Fat Calculator

I just took pictures that aren't yet approved for my before pics because I was so psyched up and was sure the weight was going to go down...but I'm not sure its working. Maybe its the stress of wanting it to work so bad....
    Maybe try some calming strategies, if you think you are stressed, whether that's a factor here or not.

Sigh sorry for being so annoying I feel like a whiny little baby....just so frustrated. I've been doing this for almost a month now and thought the weight would be moving more after cutting out all grains except for a few cheats here or there.
    It's not in the least annoying. Say what you're thinking, and maybe some of us will have some useful suggestions.

Probably best not to cheat on grains, as you may have an auto-immune reaction to them. Many people do. That factor is mostly why they're not included in the Primal Diet—not just the whack of carbs in them. If you do have an auto-immune reaction, then any is too much. At least take 30 days without and see if you feel better in any way—not just weigh less. Also note if you get a reaction if you eat a piece of bread or something of the sort after 30 days clean from them.

Also, do you get enough sleep, and do you sleep in the dark? Not doing so can stymie weight-loss, as it jiggers with your hormones. Physiologically humans need plenty of sleep—up to 9 or 10 hours in winter. Your room should be as dark as you can get it. Use blackout curtains; even tape over the lights on clock radios and the like.

Possibly some supplements could help. Supposedly some R-alpha lipoic acid along with a tiny amount of evening primrose oil can help with insulin sensitivity. There's a list of supplements at the back of Nora Gedgaudas's Primal Body, Primal Mind that may be worth a look:

Amazon.com: Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life (9781594774133): Nora T. Gedgaudas: Books

But in general it's likely that a low-carb Primal diet (including rigorous avoidance of potentially irritating foods like grains) and some good sleep in the dark will work for you. It has for so many people.

Thanks for the posts so far...I really appreciate it . I'll try and stay positive....actually there is also supposed to be a way to measure in a pod that is as accurate as underwater tests. Its called the Bodpod...I actually want to do that at least once for curiosities sake. I was told I could even get it done for free in Odessa Texas at a College there I live in Midland less than 100 miles away if I sign a form saying they can use my information. Not sure what they would do with the data but I think its probably harmless.

They told me to e-mail a person to setup a test but the person I e-mailed never responded and I haven't sent another message to them asking about it. I've heard tests can be like 75.00 at places that charge...but if you have a school nearby with one you might can get it done for free with the same deal..if your curious. They measure your RMR and various things. Details here. COSMED USA, Inc.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiken3712 View Post
    Most days I'm under 50 so i should be. Considering all I've been eating is meats and cheese and mayo and mustard. I know its better to eat veggies but I hate the taste and so I haven't been eating any recently.....I plan on adding them at some point...but haven't started yet.
    I'd start on the veg now.

I don't want to labour the point, but if wheat is a problem for you—as it is for many—you really do have to be careful. For example, some mustards can contain it. The mayonnaise might, too. The mayonnaise might contain industrial seed oils instead of olive oil, as well—some of those oils are pro-inflammatory.

I actually somewhat believe that I could be gaining muscle...or losing fat in other places besides my belly which would explain some things.
    Great.

The reason I'm so down is because I'm used to being negative...I've had low self esteem for awhile because I've been jobless for over a year now...not even sure how long. I'm also obese etc.... I know I shouldn't be this way but its hard to change habits.
    I'm sorry to hear it. I've had periods of depression and of unemployment, too. It's no joke. You can't let it get you down. Exercise helps a bit: using your lungs and getting some sun on your face are good boosters. I'd suggest seeing what self-help books are in your local library, too. I mean books about how to do positive self-talk and the like. Low self-esteem is inked to unhelpful thought patterns and continually saying the wrong sort of thing to yourself in your head. You can push back somewhat by recognizing those thoughts as they arise and challenging them. You can also record positive affirmations and play them back through headphones and stuff like that. (Try googling "positive self-talk".)

You'll also have time at the moment to try some meditation techniques and see what those can do for you.

Nanzi is offline Senior Member
    Raiken, Please don't lose heart! I started at just about your weight, and there is hope. You really need to find some way to incorporate some veggies into your way of eating. I have trouble with that too, mostly just laziness re making the salads we both love - what is wrong with me? I know that works, yet don't always do it. Are you using the Dukes brand of Mayo? I forget why it instead of Hellmans, but I haven't finished my Hellmans so haven't opened the Dukes yet. I don't know what all the V8 veggie juices have in them, check recipe for junk(like sugar & HFCS), I don't even know if they would help get veggies in yer body!! Have you tried anything like broccoli or cauliflower with a cheese topping on them? Or a cheese sauce made with whipping cream? Or dipping them in a sour cream & blue cheese dip/salad dressing, not talking store bought, just mix the 2 and add some garlic, salt & pepper to it. How bad could that be?? Or asparagus wrapped with bacon?
    As far as grains, I've been really off them since the start. I miss my basmati rice, and potatoes. Not so much pasta, except as such an easy accompianament to a meal. But the stuff is poison to me, esp wheat. It gives me a tummy ache, makes me wake up stuffy and sneezing and blowing my nose as I have my coffee & computer.
    If there is anything I can help with or encourage you on, please pm me. We can do this, and we're all in the same boat with the food.
    Nanzi in DE

I don't have anything to add to the above posts as I am a newbie, but I wanted to offer my support in any way I can help. Where in Texas are you?
    7/4/11: 42-38-43
    8/3/11: 41-37-42
    11/27/11: 41-36-41
    Goal: 38-32-36

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    Raiken -- hard to say what's going on at this early stage, but I'd offer a couple of thoughts:

1 -- While one calorie is NOT the equivalent of some other calories (e.g: simple starches are bad due to their impact on appetite and insulin response), calories do matter. Primal will not allow you carte blanche to eat as much as you can. You *might* need to cut your total calories back some. Eating primally means it's one heck of a lot easier to do so, but it still may be necessary.

2 -- Cut our ALL wheat and preferably all grains. If you really can't bring yourself to cut all grains out then at VERY LEAST commit to NO WHEAT. Many people here have noted wheat as a causative agent in their fight with depression. While depression hasn't been a problem for me, I *have* noticed that cutting grains led me to have a cheerier demeanor, better sleep, brighter outlook, more energy... the list goes on and on and on. Wheat was also the source of both my severe acid reflux AND my lifelong battle with asthma (I'm now medication-free for the first time in 30 years).

3 -- Make sure you are getting active. Take long walks. Good for the body, good for mind, good for the spirit. It will greatly improve your progress.

Finally, DON'T GET DISCOURAGED! Changing years of bad habits takes TIME. Your body needs TIME to change from "modern American" to "modern primal warrior". You need TIME to lose weight.

So give yourself TIME. If things don't progress for you, just kick it up another notch. Make changes in small sustainable steps and YOU CAN GET THERE. Primal living has been life-changing for me. I think it can be for you as well. Just give it time! I *know* how hard that can be when you are starting out, but it took years to get to the point where you are now. At the very least, give yourself a few months effort to really turn it around.

I'm rooting for you, Raiken! Stay the course and give it TIME!
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast