Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Move Slowly page

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Move Slowly

Shop Now
    I've noticed that the Move Slowly aspect of PB fitness is the one that people seem to have the biggest mental block against. Move Slowly doesn't mean running. It means, basically, conducting your daily business on your feet as much as possible. Walk around. Carry stuff. And maybe do T'ai Chi or yoga. Simple. Don't turn it into the chore that our culture always turns exercise into.

I needed to go buy a new propane tank for the BBQ, which weighs about 40 pounds. At first I thought about walking to the nearest gas station and carrying one home, but I wasn't in the mood to deal with a weight like that over a 20 minute walk so I took the wheelbarrow instead and got a can of gas for the lawnmower, too.

My basic rule of thumb is that if I can get somewhere in an hour or less on foot, then I walk. That includes grocery shopping. This takes care of most of what I feel I need to fulfill the Move Slowly aspect.

Running is fine if you enjoy it, but please, relax.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

john_solo is offline Senior Member
    but please, relax.

+1 to this!

willow1898 is offline Junior Member
    I'm with you. I find it hard, though...as I live in the middle of nowhere. I get really 'p....d' at myself when I forget something from the store...because it means a drive of at minimum an hour----AN HOUR!!!! What was I thinking when I chose to live the 'country life'....MAN WOMAN. The good thing is...that I can waddle up and down my lonely country roads without worrying about what anyone thinks...there is no one out there but me. Love it.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    +1
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    What you say is great for those who are acceptably fit and want to maintain that in a primal lifestyle.

I think the unfit would be very well advised to do some wort of organized program to reach acceptable aerobic fitness.
    Probably walking.

The elite wanting to stay elite probably will want to run some

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbcbc2 View Post
    The elite wanting to stay elite probably will want to run some
    Not even close. I can churn out ten minute miles for hours and keep my heart rate below 75% of maximum. And I'm old and slow. Running should be a part of every fitness program. BTW, running only sucks if you wear shoes ... so there's no need to look for excuses unless you're unwilling to take your shoes off.

Gordo

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    Excellent approach!
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I started standing at work which feels like an improvement. Curiously enough now walking seems like a break from standing and my feet feel very rested even if I've been on them for a few hours. Sitting any other time doesn't seem that bad anymore since it's still the minority of my time. I'm also working at the city now so I do more daily walking. Probably still not enough.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I think Mark inadvertently created confusion when he recommended a heart rate range for moving slowly. Many people focus way too much on that aspect versus just going out and relaxing and enjoying a walk.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I think Mark inadvertently created confusion when he recommended a heart rate range for moving slowly. Many people focus way too much on that aspect versus just going out and relaxing and enjoying a walk.
    I think that he created confusion when he called it "moving slowly". Many people focus way too much on the "slowly" part and are afraid to run.

Gordo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast