Thread: Please Evaluate and Comment - MY Proposed Workout Schedule page

john_solo is offline Senior Member

Please Evaluate and Comment - MY Proposed Workout Schedule

Shop Now
    I'm the type of person that needs structure or else I won't be as motivated to do something. For example, if I schedule (i.e. write down) that I'm going to run 5 miles on Saturday, then I am far better at holding myself accountable. So, below is what I am thinking in terms of workouts. I am looking to build up some more muscle which means I'll probably be eating a bit more.

Monday - move slowly. For me this generally means 4-5 mile run either outside or on the 'mill.
    Tuesday - primal movements. I'm still building up to the first level (50 pushups, etc)
    Wednesday - Sprint/HIIT
    Thursday - primal movements
    Friday - move slowly, similar to Monday
    Sat/Sun - optional workouts, playing with kids at playground, etc.

Are the primal movements enough from a lift heavy things perspective? I'm not a fan of isolation exercises...

Jamison is offline Banned
    Looks like a solid plan for general fitness, but as for muscle building I would recommend throwing in at least one day of either free weights or advanced bodyweight strength training ( one handed push-up progression, pistol squats, handstand pushups, etc. ).

Ross Enamait's book "Never Gymless" is a wonderful guide to any kind of fitness goals, whether it be strength, mass or endurance, using a variety of bodyweight exercises. Its a solid read if you're interested.

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
    Looks like a solid plan for general fitness, but as for muscle building I would recommend throwing in at least one day of either free weights or advanced bodyweight strength training ( one handed push-up progression, pistol squats, handstand pushups, etc. ).
    Why does it have to be advanced bodyweight training when he just has started training? Isn't that an obvious contradiction?

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    flip-flop mon and tue so your MS and LHT sessions will be more equally spaced.
    ie your primal movements are on a 1 rest day, 4 rest day schedule. Change and they're on 2 and 3 rest days between.

If you're specifically seeking more mass the 50 rep pushups aren't great. Do something 'heavier' whether iron or the 'advanced bodyweight' mentioned earlier.

Do something 'heavier' whether iron or the 'advanced bodyweight' mentioned earlier.

Thanks for the tip. Is one day a week along with one day of bodyweight a good way to go? A recommendations on weight routines? I'm used to the Body for Life progression (chest, shoulders, arms, back) in one session.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I'd switch it up a bit and do...

Mon - strength
    Tues - slow
    Wed - Sprint
    Thrus - slow
    Fri -strength

Quote Originally Posted by john_solo View Post
    Do something 'heavier' whether iron or the 'advanced bodyweight' mentioned earlier.

Thanks for the tip. Is one day a week along with one day of bodyweight a good way to go? A recommendations on weight routines? I'm used to the Body for Life progression (chest, shoulders, arms, back) in one session.
    To add mass you need to move progressively heavier resistance for low-medium reps(5-12) anything over that and you're working toward muscular endurance. You could mix and probably get positive results but if mass gain is high priority do a suitable full body program 2 or maybe 3 days a week

Beyond that it's priorities, preferences and religion(exercise, not general)
    If moving big weights in the standard lifts is attractive - Starting Strength, Stronglifts, New Rules etc
    If appearance is high priority with good strength also - a good bodybuilding beginner program( full body with mostly compounds)
    If time efficiency is a major plus and world class performance isn't important - HIT/BBS single set stuff

If access to weights is an issue then others here can set you up for bodyweight stuff. I don't pay a lot of attention cause I own weights.

Is one set of 12 reps a good plan for mass (for any given muscle group)?

Definitely works for beginners.
    Might stop working fairly soon but you can always change if you plateau and want more progress.

1 set of related exercises can be like multiple sets of one.
    ie 1* dip + 1 * bench + 1 * overhead ~= 3 * bench