Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not Losing any Weight...and it's Frustrating! page

akgreeley is offline Junior Member

Not Losing any Weight...and it's Frustrating!

Shop Now
    Hi, I'm Anna

I come from a background of Weston A. Price type eating, and I tended to be high-raw as well before going primal. For a year, however, I fell off the diet wagon. I was hospitalized for depression for a week and after that decided to be "fat and happy". What that meant was I would eat anything I wanted and focus on getting mentally healthy. So, after a year of fast food and junk, I gained 50lbs. I started out at 135 and ballooned to 185. I have now lost only 13lbs of that, though I have been off junk food for 6 months. I started back on a high-raw, WAP diet about 6 months ago. I lost no weight. I then tried the HCG diet and lost 13lbs. It worked, but I felt like absolute crap. Then (about 6 weeks ago), I decided to finally go primal after reading Taubes' research and then reading the Primal Blueprint.

Fatty meat with skin makes up a great portion of my diet. I also eat things like olives, butter, eggs, fish, cream, whey protein, coconut oil, green vegetables, other low-carb vegetables, and occasionally low-carb fruits. I've experimented with carnivory and the fairly high-end of low-carb (80 grams/day). I haven't noticed a difference in weight-loss between the extremes, but I feel better with some carbs, probably because I am very active. Sometimes, I will eat things like soy sauce or a meat that has a tiny bit of sugar in the ingredients, but doesn't show any grams of sugar on the label, like bratwurst.

I am LOVING primal fitness. I lift heavy things twice a week and am up to 30 knee pushups, 90 seconds of knee/forearm plank, 90 seconds of handstand, 60 full squats and 1 pullup (darn that pullup). I use my bicycle as transportation 2-3 days a week and walk for transportation 1-2 days a week. On weeks where I can't be on my bike as much, I use my indoor cycle. I also play: this week, I went on a vacation and climbed a dune and attempted to water ski. Often, I play with my children to get moving. We play ball and run and hula hoop. I am sleeping really well and take rest days when I need them.

I FEEL amazing. My energy is higher than it has ever been. This way of living has improved my mood immensely, as well. I am still on antidepressants, but never feel depressed. It was normal for me to feel depressed, despite the meds, at least one week per month before.

The problem? I'm still at 172lbs. I haven't lost ANY weight since using HCG. The weight is not melting off. My body composition is changing, but I haven't needed any new clothes. I'm just seeing things firm up... a little. I hear people on this board talk about the weight meling off, losing ten pounds the first week, etc. I've looked at pictures of people after just 4 weeks of primal living and there is such a difference. I'm not seeing that in myself.

I want to stay with this way of living, but I want to make sure I'm doing it in a way that will help me lose weight, too. I'm still obese (I'm 5'4"). I'm now a fit obese, but seriously, I want to look good naked.

Anybody got any ideas?
    Anna

Melody is offline Senior Member
    might be TMI, but since you were hospitalized with depression, are you on any medications? many can make you gain weight that is difficult to lose. how tall are you?

5'4"

I am on Wellbutrin and Abilify. It is possible that they contributed to the weight gain, but I was also on Wellbutrin when I weighed 135lbs, so I would assume I could lose weight with the meds.
    Anna

Grizz is offline Banned
    Anna,

I suggest Substituting 10,000 IU Vitamin D3 daily for your anti-depressants and slash your intake of fat/skin. Fat is LOADED with calories and you don't need all of that energy if you want to lose weight.

More on Vitamin D3 below:
    Grizz

Coyote is offline Junior Member
    Maybe you should talk with your doctor before you go off any depression meds, since you mention being hospitalized for depression. It's important to avoid anything that may put you back in the hospital, in terms of mental health. Vitamin D is great for you, but you need to talk to a medical professional before you quit any meds or add anything that may interact with them badly.

I've been doing Primal for almost a month now (although I have a week of noncompliance in the middle when I was doing jury duty) and I've lost one pound. I've lost inches (4 from my waist, 2.5 from my hips) and I have always been heavier than most people wearing my size, so I don't let it get to me. You've only been doing this what, six weeks? Give it some time, and it might be worthwhile for you to try plugging what you eat into some sort of calculator like SparkPeople or Fitday. I know I can eat way more carbs than I should if I'm not counting them, so I track my food. It might be worth a try.

The goal is eventually to go off the meds, but I'm not ready for it yet. I get TONS of vitamin D, as I am in the sun for at least an hour each day. My mood is better, but if I skip a dose of medication, I feel it.

I feel the fat is important, as the research I have done points to it fueling and healing my brain. I am also confused about the calorie aspect. I was under the impression that if I was eating primally, and to satiety, that I wouldn't have to count calories? I can choose to cut down on fatty meat and simply focus on things like coconut oil and egg yolks and butter for good fat. Wouldn't cutting out the fruit sugars be a better place to start?
    Anna

rkj1969 is offline Senior Member
    "Eat all you want" doesn't work at all for me. I have to keep my calories under 1200 and my carbs under 40 to lose at all. I lost 40 pounds that way, then stalled out for two months. Now I am experimenting with cutting protein and increasing fat - and I am losing again!

Perhaps, as suggested above by Coyote - tracking your carbs and making some adjustments there (making sure you're in the optimal section of the "primal carb curve") could be a great place to start. If that doesn't yield results, look at calories and/or protein next....
    ~Rhonda

"Do or do not do, there is no try" - Yoda

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    theres a thread on these boards about hcg and quite a few people mention that when you lose weight on the hcg diet it is mostly muscle and not fat. then once off the hcg it is really hard to lose additional weight. you might do a search for the thread as there is a lot of info there
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

IME, it's the Abilify that is the culprit. Two of my kids have taken it and they both gained significant weight while on it. Trouble is with that class of meds, 99% of them have weight gain issues. The only one I can think of that is more weight neutral is Geodon.
    7/4/11: 42-38-43
    8/3/11: 41-37-42
    11/27/11: 41-36-41
    Goal: 38-32-36

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    A great mood lifter when you're relying too much on the scale is to measure yourself. That is a piece of advice I took as I started my primal journey, and I only update it when I get reminded to or when I get frustrated that the scale is being cruel to me. Not just my scale. It seems to be part of a plot that involves the medical scale at the gym I cannot get excited about 136 going down to 133, because as soon as I do, up it goes again. Grrr!

Tracking my measurements makes me feel good when I get in one of those am-I-making-any-progress-at-all funks. If your measurements are still changing, but your scale is singing the same song for a month, look at both, they tell a full story together. This post came at a great time for me. I'm still hanging on at 133, as I have been for weeks. Your post inspired me to check my measurements during this time.

I'll break it down for you:
    March 18th, when I stated PBF -> Bust -36", Chest -32", Waist - 36", Hips - 40", etc.
    After 4 mos doing Primal Blueprint -> Bust -34", Chest - 28", Waist - 27.5", Hips - 35"

That is to say, 2 inches from my bust (sorry to see you go girls, but you didn't really belong), 4 inches from my chest, and let me tell you, finding a bra when you're a 28B is a hassle, 8 inches from my waist, 5 inches from the hips. It kind of breaks my heart that I spent $60 on jeans just before I started all this. I got to wear them for a couple months, anyway.

I, too, am on an antidepressant due to some neurological damage I received in a car accident, and the doctor prescribed Lexapro to me. I would say that it doesn't help or hurt weight loss for me. YMMV, but that's just my experience.
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast