Thread: tendon, tripe and tongue? page

paleo_hailey is offline Senior Member

tendon, tripe and tongue?

Primal Fuel
    I know liver, kidney and heart are the all-star organ meats, but am I getting any benefit from eating beef tripe, tendon, and tongue?

Other than the fact they're delicious, of course

I'm guessing the tendon is full of collagen... I eat all three at least weekly.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Definitely getting some benefit due to the different mixes of proteins. Still want to eat organs for the vitamins and minerals
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    I've been wondering - is there any particular nutritional benefit to heart? (Apart from being good muscle meat and fantastically cheap?) Anyone know?

rayout is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    I've been wondering - is there any particular nutritional benefit to heart? (Apart from being good muscle meat and fantastically cheap?) Anyone know?
    Heart is similar to liver in that it is high in various vitamins and minerals. Also it is one of the best sources of COQ10, more so than even liver.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    CoQ10? Good to know - thanks.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I love liver and heart. Tongue isn't bad either - kinda reminds me of pork shoulder. Kidney however I'm still learning to love. I'm going to try it cooked low and slow next time... or should I bother? Are there any unique benefits of kidney that heart and liver don't cover?

Paleobird Guest
    Heart also makes really good jerky since it is so fat free.

davem is offline Senior Member
    what's CoQ10?

I'm not sure about benefit, lots of people seem to think the collagen is good for your joints. I like them because they're tasty. Except green tripe. That's well... like a hammer to thumbnail.

I would imagine though, very little fat in any of them, easy to get and low cost because hipsters haven't really discovered the tripe or tendons. (They have found tongue here, it can be as high as $13.99 a pound.)
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    Quality cow tongue is pretty cheap at the Walmart down here in Jacksonville... They also have tripe, but I always thought that was just mostly fat. What do you do with that? It tastes good? Ox tails are also pretty cheap... 3$ a pound. I'm thinkin' STEW!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oxtails for $3/lb? That's a pretty good deal. I think they're like $5-6/lb at Publix. I might have to brave Wal-Mart for that!