Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small cavity. Any hope? page

Conner P. is offline Senior Member

Small cavity. Any hope?

Primal Fuel
    It would appear I have developed a small cavity on one of my rearmost lower molars (I have been slightly negligent as far as dental goes as of late). It is approximately 1mm deep and 1/32" wide (maybe a little less even). I am going to the dentist on tuesday.

Doing some reading, I was hoping I could heal (maybe not recover the lost material, but at least harden what remains) using MI Paste in the morning, a 5000ppm fluoride toothpaste at night, limiting simple sugars to a minimum (bye bye fruit ), and cleaning my mouth up after meals.

I want to suggest to the dentist the above, and ask about coming back in 3 months in addition to 6 months to check on it. I know alot of people would say "just get it filled now and dont risk it", but I don't want to enter the cycle of issues surrounding fillings. I hear my family bitch about them enough.

So bottom line: should I give my body a chance to prove itself, giving it the best conditions I can? Or is it pretty much hopeless?

(MI paste is a calcium/phosphate saturated compound that also includes CPP-ACP, a milk derived protein, that is supposed to facilitate the remineralization process.)

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    what are the issues with fillings? i have several fillings and have had no problems at all

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    If it's not through the enamel layer watchful waiting might be indicated but...a filling now is infinitely preferable to what will be needed if the decay goes too far. Once it's past the enamel layer decay will progress rapidly. Just stay away from the amalgam.

There is also this: Colgate® PreviDent® 5000 Plus (Rx only) A script will be needed from the DMD.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Buy a blender and drink all your food with a straw. Problem solved. Teeth are only useful to poor losers who can't afford a good blender anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by IvyBlue View Post
    If it's not through the enamel layer watchful waiting might be indicated but...a filling now is infinitely preferable to what will be needed if the decay goes too far. Once it's past the enamel layer decay will progress rapidly. Just stay away from the amalgam.

There is also this: Colgate® PreviDent® 5000 Plus (Rx only) A script will be needed from the DMD.
    That is basically what I was looking at getting. And again, the problem with fillings is how much I constantly hear my mother and grandfather bitch about them. They are always having trouble from them.

I have also read stuff about superficial sealants. Does anyone around here have knowledge of them? My reading tells me they etch the enamel and then place the sealant on the surface of the tooth, without drilling.
    Last edited by Conner P.; 07-09-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbike View Post
    Buy a blender and drink all your food with a straw. Problem solved. Teeth are only useful to poor losers who can't afford a good blender anyway.
    LOL. I bought an awesome blender today. Check my latest journal post if you're thinking about buying one.

Seriously though, I have some really bad teeth. The last time I went to the dentist they said I had five cavities!

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    A Primal diet with enough vitamins A, D, and K2 (may need to supplement) can heal small cavities, but there's a limit and past that you definitely need to get it filled. Don't know what that is, unfortunately, but 1/32" might be manageable. If you're going to get it filled just make sure it's a ceramic, not metal filling.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conner P. View Post
    I have also read stuff about superficial sealants. Does anyone around here have knowledge of them? My reading tells me they etch the enamel and then place the sealant on the surface of the tooth, without drilling.
    Had my molars done. It wears off anyway so is not a long term solution to anything.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaReina View Post
    A Primal diet with enough vitamins A, D, and K2 (may need to supplement) can heal small cavities, but there's a limit and past that you definitely need to get it filled. Don't know what that is, unfortunately, but 1/32" might be manageable. If you're going to get it filled just make sure it's a ceramic, not metal filling.
    Absolutely on the ceramic. Air etched & ceramic. If I am getting portions of my tooth removed, it is going to be the smallest amount possible.

mrlisk is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've got literally a dozen or more fillings. My rearmost molar is completely hollowed out and reformed with a filling (pretty much as extensive as it gets before a root canal and crown would be necessary). I have had pretty good luck so far with all of the fillings and even better luck since i've cut down sugar intake. I'd say try out the other's suggestions regarding good vitamin balance and perhaps the 'script toothpaste.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast