Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When you really are the odd one out page

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Aaaah! I've just had a very difficult lunchtime. We had an old colleague visit us and our boss sent out for sandwiches for everyone else and something without bread for me. The offering was extremely poor. I got a chicken salad consisting of really poor quality lettuce, about 10 pieces of grated cheese which tasted of nothing and 5 cubes of chicken.

Needless to say, I was not happy (although of course, I didn't complain). Thankfully, I had forgotten that we were having a visitor today, so I'd brought with me my favourite lunch: a can of tuna, tomatoes, cucumber and olives, all drenched in olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, some pepper, some chillies and garlic.

I would rather have IFd, but to be honest, I got enough questions and comments about not having sandwiches - not eating at all would probably have triggered a frenzy of 'concern'.

Oh yes, and another thing - this old colleague hadn't seen me since the summer, so clearly, I've lost a lot of weight since then. Was there a 'you look great' or even just a question about how I'd done it? No - it was 'oh you've lost so much weight, have you got a thyroid problem?'

...OMG.

*Bangs head on desk*

GtrBMart is offline Junior Member

Some people are very dense, but hey! At least someone noticed. When I last visited my extended family, I was 25 lbs down and no one noticed.

Bet they did - bet they were jealous!! ;-)

Yes, I guess you're right, at least they did notice...

maba is offline Senior Member

Why do people always assume the undesirable? Geez!

Now with the holiday season around, I'm in a situation like yours often. I dread those office luncheons. And even if the menu has salad, the dressing is made w/ vegetable or canola oil. So far I've been managing ok but sometimes I just cave in because I have no other option. I think I'm going to be a Scrooge and refuse to participate in them. And around Christmas, people bring treats for the team members. Guess what they bring? Cakes, cookies, donuts...even if one is non-Primal, there's only so much sugar one can eat!

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

When we eat at work functions for lunch i try to get a funky salad... if that's not available... just minimize the damage and get the pizza, sandwich, etc and write it off as 20%.

Well, at least the dressing that came with my salad was in a separate pot, and as it was white, I assume it was some kind of plastic mayonnaise... ugh!

Yep, whether it's Christmas or Hanukkah that you go for, there's tons of sugar floating around at the moment. Last year, I was quite happy to have a bit of whatever was going around, and I will still have the odd thing, but I do feel quite overwhelmed with it all. May as well go and eat a bag of sugar!

Good luck with your resolve to stay away from the sugar and the nuts ;-) !!

@arthurb999 - yes, the 20% idea is fine, I agree, but this salad obviously had no nutritional value at all, not even a negative one, it was just...blech. If I'm confronted with pizza, I'm just going for the topping (gluten 'issues'...).

Or I could suggest we change our lunch supplier... again!

Katt is offline Senior Member

Someone passed around home made cookies today at my office. They had been made by their church members. I politely turned them down and received some sarcastic comment about their stuff not being good enough...

Well... it isn't! LOL

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

Daisygg is offline Junior Member

People do get upset/insulted regarding food don't they? Many times in the past I've just taken whatever is offered, pick through what I can or want, and toss later. No one really notices if I don't make a big deal out of it. I've even taken cookies and thrown them later.

Cheerful and stupid is the way to go!

Then you can go home and have something delicious.

I've been struggling with sugar big time the past few weeks and have been finding that even if I have just a little bit it sets me off and running.

Geoff is offline Member

@PK - I feel for you. Knowing you had your own quality lunch available must have made it doubly tough. It's understandable that you weren't happy. Still, the lunch was provided as a gesture of kindness and your boss made a special effort to accommodate you. Not only do you have the good fortune of having food provided to you (unlike millions who have less than enough simply to survive), you also have the good luck of being educated enough to see if for the sub-optimal fare it was. Still, it was prepared as a gesture of kindness (to your returning colleague and you), so try to accept it in good spirits with appreciation for the kindness that motivated it.

Think about it - your boss made a special effort to accommodate your diet and your co-worker expressed concern for your health. Those are two people who care about you and want you to be well and happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast