Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When did grok eat? page

reedol is offline Junior Member

When did grok eat?

Primal Fuel
    I was thinking about meal frequency and how the convential wisdom won't shut up about how you need to eat 6 small meals a day along with all their other nonsense. When looking at meal frequency from an evolutionary perspective, it seems to make sense that grok would not be eating that much. I'd think that he would eat large meals 1-2 times a day. I may be wrong.

Let me know what you think and if you do something different with your meal frequency.

baystategamecock is offline Junior Member
    I agree. I would also think Grok would be genetically inclined to "binging". He would eat his fill whenever he could because he knows he may not have food available to him again for a while. i-2 meals sounds good with perhaps a small mid-day snack to sustain energy while on the move.

BSGC

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    I don't think there is any way to know. We can study the few remaining HGs, but that isn't the same as knowing how our direct ancestors ate. That probably varied a lot over three million years.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Grok ate when he could. When should you eat? Depends on your goals. For weight loss/maintenance a normal pattern of 2 or 3 meals a day works fine, depending on what's convenient.

Ebbe is offline Junior Member
    My logic says, he would have eaten immediately when he found/hunted something he had learned to know would spoil quickly and store/hide whatever could be saved for later when he was truly hungry/needed the energy, so it was all circumstances. But my belief is that as a whole, we were intuitive eaters and probably still even grazed/rationed a little bit time to time, to try new things and when food rations were scarce. Definitely dependent on the weather/locale/season etc. Maybe as it got colder they also started bingeing more to put on more fat for cooler temps like animals do? Interesting none the less to try to picture it.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Beach grok ate a lot differently than central asia grok. Learn your heritage and see if basing it on that helps.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I think a lot depends on where Grok lived and what time of year it was. In an interview with a Kitavin about their native, traditional WOE, it looks like those people eat twice a day with a snack: Whole Health Source: Interview with a Kitavan
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I doubt the Grok family got up and opened the fridge and started some eggs 30 minutes after waking up.

I bet they ate the most later in the day, after they had time to do a hunt and come back to the klan.

They also were not trying to undo years of horrible diet and bad advice too, so it's interesting to think about, but not sure if if really matters.

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    I doubt the Grok family got up and opened the fridge and started some eggs 30 minutes after waking up.

I bet they ate the most later in the day, after they had time to do a hunt and come back to the klan.

They also were not trying to undo years of horrible diet and bad advice too, so it's interesting to think about, but not sure if if really matters.
    Heh, funny... =)

The 2 meals a day + a snack make a lot of sense to me. I'm doing a 16/8 approach (more or less) and sometimes just lunch and dinner doesn't seem enough, so a snack in between, or just a snack/breakfast would be a good way to approach the thing. From an evolutionary standpoint it makes some sense.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by reedol View Post
    I was thinking about meal frequency and how the convential wisdom won't shut up about how you need to eat 6 small meals a day along with all their other nonsense.
    Yes, blanket advice like that is a bit ridiculous. it really depends what you're eating—and what current problems you have. If you get most of your calories off carbs, then you will need to keep topping up.

As for current problems—apparently, some of Datis Kharrazian's thyroid sufferers are advised to eat more often. But what he does with some is apparently absolutely contra-indicated with others.

When looking at meal frequency from an evolutionary perspective, it seems to make sense that grok would not be eating that much. I'd think that he would eat large meals 1-2 times a day. I may be wrong.
    I think how often and how much people ate in prehistory depended on what they had around. One can look at the ethnographic parallels. Stefansson gives the foods and meals of one particular group of Eskimos in The Fat of the Land. They were eating four times a day. They presumably had a ready supply. Other people living in country where food was less plentiful, at least at times, probably ate far more irregularly. Some who did have plenty seem, nevertheless, not to have had regular mealtimes—you just took some food from the pot whenever you felt like it.

Then again, there have been groups who just ate up whatever they had as soon as they'd made a kill—they would eat fantastic quantities of food that most of us probably couldn't manage, go to sleep, wake up, and begin all over again. Having eaten everything, they might have to wait to eat again until they'd made another kill, which might be some days. You would think they would eat more moderately and save some food for when they didn't have any, but some people just didn't do that. There, the "number of meals" varied between none (because you had nothing) and a continuous meal that lasted as long as you were awake.

Likely there was just no one pattern in the remote past. There wasn't among hunters in the historical past, and why would the situation in prehistory have been any different?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast