Thread: Dairy woes....the blame game page

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member

Dairy woes....the blame game

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been curious about the whole whey/lactose/casein subject since I realized (or just finally faced the fact) not too long ago that I have an issue with dairy. In an attempt to nail down which is the real culprit for me as far as intolerance and autoimmune response issues go, I got rid of all dairy and was going to try to see what, if anything, I could consume without having GI issues or any signs or symptoms of inflammation. I should have started with heavy cream or butter, but had a small bite of ricotta cheese recently and within hours was sure I had a severe case of the flu - not "the stomach flu", but a body ache like I haven't had in a long, long time and everything burned - eyes, throat, sinuses, and lungs. I never noticed that butter or heavy cream did that to me before. (I do know that butter and cream are mostly fat and are lacking elements of the other dairy products)

Can anyone tell me which components of dairy products seem to be the most common cause of physiological reactions? I'm leaning toward whey being to blame for mine, but am really curious about what others have found they can and can't tolerate. (Not talking about weight related issues here)

I'm willing to give up whatever I need to for good, but I can't say I'll be doing it happily!
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    The most common situations are lactose intolerance and caesin sensitivity, I've never heard of whey sensitivity before. The symptoms you're talking about point towards inflammation, which makes caesin the likely culprit (lactose intolerance mostly leads to the runs).

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    I agree about it not being lactose since I had no GI symptoms but an inflammatory response, and I think you're right on about the casein - the more I'm reading about it, the more it looks like that's what sets me off.

I can't believe how many physical problems and misery can be caused by what we ingest. It's actually a little scary.

Thanks for the response.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson