Thread: Extended Fasting/Fasting Workouts page

GtrBMart is offline Junior Member

On Thursday, I ate dinner (after a previous 24 hour fast per the Warrior Diet), fasted all day Friday, and had breakfast on Saturday. It was my first ~36 hour fast and it felt great. I definitely feel like I broke through a plateau I've been in. I probably could have gone a few more hours with no problems, too. My question is: Is there a sensible limit to how long one should fast? Clearly no one is going to fast for 3+ days for the fun of it but would a 48 or so hour fast be crazy or beneficial?

And, I was going to make another post to ask this question but since the two questions overlap, I thought I'd combine the two. All day Friday I had an insane urge to work out. I really wanted to lift heavy things. I decided not to... because I was fasting? So my question is: is working out during a fast a bad thing? What I usually do since I practice the Warrior Diet is workout and then eat right after. But what about fasting, working out, and fasting some more?

Thought I'd bump this to see if anyone can help me reach an answer or give me some insight!

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

If you feel like lifting during a fast...by all means seize the moment!!!

Let your energy level be your guide; you can't hurt yourself that way. Worst case, and not very likely, is that you would run out of gas ;-)

So you say, it isn't detrimental? I just guess I don't want to be not making any gains from having worked out in terms of muscle mass/strength. Maybe I'm just missing something about how the body would react after being "stressed" by a workout during a fast.

Tarlach is offline Member

You want to fast longer than 15 hours to start getting any benefits and up to about 48.

I usually workout in a fast, but I do it near the end. I.e Fast for 20 hours, workout and then have dinner two hours later (to make maximum use of elevated HGH).

The next day I am a lot more hungry and I eat when I feel like it. I do not fast for the day after a good workout, as I'm busy feeding my muscles protein and fat.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

I generally fast between 20 and 22 hours every day (Warrior Diet) and workout in the half hour before I eat. Would you recommend waiting two hours before eating?

The difference was, on Friday, I wasn't eating anything as I was in the middle of a 36 hour fast. Logically, I would assume that working out in the middle of it, with another 12 or so hours to go in the fast wouldn't be a good idea. That's part of what I'm trying to assess.

ahhgrr is offline Junior Member

I've been out of the gym for a few months due to time restrictions, but previous to that, I had been working out fasted for over a year.

My usual workout time was lunchtime (anywhere from 11:30 - 1:30, depending on the day's schedule), generally on a fast that was timed from my dinner the night before (ending around 9-ishPM, so loosely 15-17 hours in). I would then hold off another hour (or four, or more) before eating.

I shed ~40 pounds, and got vastly stronger on varying versions of that schedule. And felt awesome.

So yeah, just go for it and work out fasted.

mikecheliak is offline Junior Member

Just do it! If you feel like lifting...lift. If you want to run...run. On the other side of the coin...if you want to nap...nap!

If you like fasting, it should start feeling like a natural part of your lifestyle and not something you have to really "schedule". I love working out in a fasted state and have some of my best efforts.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Well, I guess that answers that question! Thanks, everyone!