Thread: ammonia smell page

NurseMama5 is offline Senior Member

ammonia smell

Shop Now
    I smell ammonia on my person almost daily. I guess it is from my sweat because I cannot pinpoint 1 specific spot it's coming from, I smell it most often in the shower. My husband doesn't notice it on me. I've tried looking it up several times. there is very little info I can find. The only place that really addresses this issue is body building sites that say I am breaking down too much protein and not enough carbs. I also had this issue postpartum with my daughter (but I was eating SAD at that time). Anyone else? Anything I can do to remedy this? Am I breaking down muscle? Should I ^ carbs?
    "I tried to call the nurse again, but she's bein' a little bitch....I think I'll get outta here." Pink

Griff is offline Senior Member
    It means that you are eating a lot of protein and breaking that down, not that you're breaking down muscle tissue. It's normal. Don't worry about it. Eat more fat and it should ease off.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    Do you drink coffee/caffeine? When I switched to decaf I noticed this smell went away quick. Experiment for a little and see if it works. If you don't drink anything caffeinated well then, I dunno. Google caffeine and body odor/ammonia smell and you will see I'm not the only one who thinks it helps!

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    I went through a spell of this when I first went Primal. It went away as my body adjusted, but in the mean time I did what Griff has suggested - I was more careful to not eat too much protein, aiming for slightly less than 2g / kg body weight, and more fat. I also made sure I was eating enough plant matter too, I tend to be not so good at getting that in, so maybe try get in some more veggies.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton