Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Thread of Ulitmate Blasphemy (People from Texas should not read) page

brahnamin is offline Senior Member

The Thread of Ulitmate Blasphemy (People from Texas should not read)

Primal Fuel
    Okay, I know this generally *just isn't done.* It's kinda like asking your cell mate what he's in for. You just don't do it. If he brings it up, fine. But you never. ever. ask.

But yeah. I'm feeling up to the hate mail today, so I'm gonna ask.

For those who care to do so (ie - no state fair ribbon on the line) post your all-time favorite chili recipe.

And no ending your recipe with *and a couple other ingredients that I never tell anyone about.*

Now, I don't claim to be a chili connoisseur, or an award winning chili chef. I mean, my chili is called Stephen's Famous Chili, but it's called that by family members who don't cook or frequent chili cook offs, so I suspect I'm only being compared to WhoreMel.

What I do love is getting new ideas for chili that I can experiment on my family with.

Note - the recipe below is not how I make it for my family anymore (they can't take the heat - and half my family no longer eats meat) but it's the one I make whenever I do enter chili cook offs.

This is the family sized portion though, not the Crab-Pot-On-The-Grill version.

Ingredients
    2 cans of Tomato Sauce (Hunts 29oz)
    4 cans of Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes (Hunts 14.5oz)
    1 lb ground beef
    1 lb chorizo sausage links
    1/2 green bell pepper (diced)
    1/2 red bell pepper (diced)
    1/2 yellow bell pepper (diced)
    1/2 orange bell pepper (diced)
    1 large red onion (diced)
    1 habanero pepper (finely minced)
    2 tbsp ground cumin (or 1 tbsp whole cumin)
    1 tbsp flake red pepper
    2 cloves garlic (finely minced)
    1/2 tsp coarse ground black pepper
    3 bay leaves
    1 tsp sea salt
    1 tbsp butter or coconut oil

Directions
    Turn Crock Pot on high and layer the bottom with all your dried spices except for bay leaf (salt, pepper, cumin, black pepper, red pepper flakes)

Dice your red onion.

In a medium frying pan melt 1 tbsp coconut oil or butter. Add 1/4 of your diced red onion and saute til translucent. When onions are ready, add your ground beef. You want to come back to it every minute to turn and break up your ground beef so that you are left with no big chunks.

While your beef browns, dice and mince the rest of your vegetables.

When your beef is brown, stir in your minced garlic and cook for another minute or two. Stir in finely minced habanero peppers. Using 1 whole habanero makes a very spicy chili. Adding the seeds makes it even spicier. To lower spiciness, use less habanero and do.not.add.the.seeds!

Dump beef/onion/garlic mixture on top of heating spices in crock pot. Do not stir yet.

Add in the rest of your diced red onion and all your diced peppers. Cover with canned items (fire roasted diced tomaoto, tomato sauce).

Cover crock pot and leave on high. Do.Not.Stir.

Put your pan back on the burner and slice chorizo sausge lengthwise while your pan heats. Lay sausages out meat side down, skin side up, and cook on medium high for 5 minutes (yes, this will blacken the meat a bit). Flip and cook skin side down for another 5 minutes.

Set aside for 10 minutes on a cutting board then cut into fair sized chunks. Add sausage to chili and stir well.

Lay your bay leaves on top, put the lid on, and reduce heat to low. Cook for 3-5 hours.

Remove bay leaves and stir before serving.

Toppings
    Serve with fresh diced onion, fresh diced tomatoes, fresh diced avocado, fresh shredded manchego, dry jack, or sharp aged cheddar, and sour cream.

inquisitiveone is offline Senior Member
    I don't understand the importance of not stirring the mixture—nor of laying the bay leaves on the top for the duration of the cooking time.

I don't have a specific recipe to offer you, but having spent some time in southern Ohio, I've modified my chili recipe to incorporate some of the spices the chili parlors there use: cinnamon, cloves, and cocoa powder being the most unusual (and heretical to Texans) ones. They add a nice depth of flavor. I also strongly prefer to use ground bison whenever I can get it; probably grassfed beef would be very close to it, but I can't afford it so I've very little experience with it.
    Last edited by inquisitiveone; 07-09-2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: clarity
    “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t — you’re right.” ~ Henry Ford

My primal journal

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Only reason for not stirring is to keep the dry spices directly on the heat source before mixing them in with everything.

Bay leaves on top so you can find them easy and fish them out afterwards (my chili gets juicy enough on top that their flavor still gets activated and (eventually) stirred in.

MetalMayhem is offline Member
    doesn't chili that is entered in chili competitions always have beans in it? Would non-bean chili ever win? (I mean I like it without, and beans aren't "primal" or "paleo," but still..)

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    i'm not 100% sure but i'm fairly certain that winning chili never has beans. Disclaimer: I am native texan and i really don't like chili that much. It's a take it or leave it thing for me. Maybe b/c i grew up in a place almost more cajun than texan (SE TX).

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Sounds great! I like to use both beef and pork as well as chorizo when I make a chunky chilli. I also like to use three or four varieties of chilli to build up the wall of flavour - I use bhut jolokia (just a little) for the background burn, Scotch Bonnet for the flavour, jalapeno for the crisp pepperiness and sometimes use ginger for the final high note. I'm not a big fan of smoky chillies or the dry pepperiness of Habanero.

The inclusion of bay and garlic is something I will have to try out. I've instinctively always left garlic out.

Since going paleo, I've made a number of chilli dishes and found that I just don't miss the beans - red or green bell peppers work well, as do cubes of aubergine for the look.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    By definition, winning chili does not have beans. : D

azleah is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    By definition, winning chili does not have beans. : D
    +1 million

By definition, any chili does not have beans.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    There are some places in Texas that say "if it has meat in it, it's not chili"
    I'm not a Texan and I don't like beans - chili has ALWAYS had to have a good amount of meat in it for me to really enjoy it. I was thrilled when I found out that they made bean-less chili. So awesome!

Pooka is offline Member
    That looks like a great recipe, brahnamin. I'm going to have to try it. The only thing is, the only chorizo I can find around here is very "liquid-y." If you cut the casing, it pours out everywhere. Is there a certain brand to look for?

Oh, and...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast