Thread: Drinking iced herbal tea with stevia - how much is too much? page

indigogirl is offline Senior Member

Drinking iced herbal tea with stevia - how much is too much?

Shop Now
    If I sip iced herbal tea (not green tea), which I sweeten with stevia, on and off all afternoon will this cause an insulin response? Is this like snacking all afternoon?
    Thanking you all in advance for feedback (everyone has been so helpful!).
    Indigogirl

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I do much the same- seltzer water with stevia, coffee with stevia. From everything I've read, they say no... so I'm going with no.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I just made an iced batch of Celestial Seasonings herbal tea - Bengal Spice, which is:

Cinnamon
    Roasted chicory
    Roasted Carob
    Natural spice and vanilla flavors with other natural flavors (only iffy ingredient as far as I can tell)
    Ginger
    Cardamom
    Black peppers
    Cloves
    Nutmeg

Maybe I'm super sensitive from avoiding sugar, but it tastes super sweet (really good!) without adding anything. Yeah, a little concerned with the "flavors" ingredient(s), but on the bright side, the package says it's gluten free and caffeine free.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Not if you only very lightly sweeten with stevia, but a lot of sweet taste from any source can raise insulin. It is best to learn to do without sweet taste.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Anave is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    I just made an iced batch of Celestial Seasonings herbal tea - Bengal Spice, which is:

Cinnamon
    Roasted chicory
    Roasted Carob
    Natural spice and vanilla flavors with other natural flavors (only iffy ingredient as far as I can tell)
    Ginger
    Cardamom
    Black peppers
    Cloves
    Nutmeg

Maybe I'm super sensitive from avoiding sugar, but it tastes super sweet (really good!) without adding anything. Yeah, a little concerned with the "flavors" ingredient(s), but on the bright side, the package says it's gluten free and caffeine free.
    My entire family agrees that the Bengal Spice tea tastes sweet on its own too. The Cinnamon Apple Spice is the same way. As far as stevia goes, as long as it doesn't trigger cravings for more sweet things I don't think it's a problem. I sometimes use it in my tea and coffee as well, and that alone doesn't seem to throw me into a sweet-craving cycle.
    We must learn to do what the leaf and the whale and the wind do of their own nature. We must learn to keep the balance. Having intelligence, we must not act in ignorance. Having choice, we must not act without responsibility
    -Sparrowhawk, The Farthest Shore by Ursula K. LeGuin